• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium Queen Killing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BMM - Posted June 29 2017 - 6:10 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I'm starting to see some large Tetramorium flights here in MO and I've noticed a weird behavior that I haven't read about before. Every morning I go out right after the sun comes up to hunt for queens, and I can usually find a few, but I'm noticing that they're almost always being attacked by a mass of Tetramorium workers. Many are dead or injured by that point. The sheer number of workers out hunting queens is pretty crazy and the sidewalks are just covered. Is this normal? I've watched a few videos of people hunting for Tetramorium queens and I've never seen this sort of thing.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 29 2017 - 6:14 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I saw this in a recent Tetramorium flight here in Northern MA. There was this one flight-active colony (so hundreds upon hundreds of workers grouped up around the surface), but all of the alates around them (about 5 alates in all) were getting swarmed. Strange, becuase I think the alates were coming from that colony. (but can't be sure)

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 29 2017 - 6:44 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I took it as the workers were pulling the free loader out into the world where she better make the decision to fly or they're ready to rip off her wings and demote her down to their rank. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted June 29 2017 - 7:02 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
I have seen this around my neighborhood too. Every Tetramorium queen I have found has been injured, dead, or in pieces getting eaten by workers.

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted June 29 2017 - 8:04 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Tetramorium are extremely territorial, I wonder if this is the reason for them "killing their kind" to prevent new colonies from taking growth space from the mature colonies.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#6 Offline BMM - Posted June 29 2017 - 9:44 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Most of the queens I've seen being attacked are wingless and at least two that I've saved have been fertile, so I'm pretty sure this isn't just them purging excess alates from their nests. I think the explanation that they're being territorial is probably right. I'm just surprised by their ferocity. My sidewalk was completely covered in workers this morning, with little clumps here and there where queens were being attacked. It makes their intercolonial wars seem fairly tame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users