• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How does red light appear to ants?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 12 2014 - 9:01 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Do they not see it at all and interpret it as still being dark? Or are they aware there is light but just aren't as bothered by red light?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 12 2014 - 9:24 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It is dark to them. 

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted October 13 2014 - 6:19 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

It is less bright as it is being filtered through red.  Some species seem unable to see past the clear red plastic, but other see through it with no issues at all.

I tried once with my colonies, but my Myrmica and Formica could see right through it.  I eventually just left it off and all of my colonies are now used to the light.  It makes moving them interesting, but it also makes observation so much better.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 13 2014 - 6:44 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If I'm not mistaken, I think they see red light the same way we see infrared light... we don't. A piece of translucent red plastic would probably look the way a plastic infrared filter looks to us--black.

#5 Offline Alza - Posted October 13 2014 - 8:46 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

that's cool!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users