• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Forest's Tapinoma sessile colony journal

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 18 2019 - 1:20 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Good afternoon fellows it is I Forest with my first colony journal so far (one more on the way later once the queen gets started up). SO to start off this colony is wild caught my grandmother and my stepfather kill any ant they find that is not in my tubes. This is two colonies merged together as Tapinoma can do that apparently. I caught one large colony yesterday August 17th 2019 with about a thousand pieces of brood and over 200 workers but no queens so I went over to my grandmothers house earlier today August 18th 2019 where I have a secret wild Tapinoma colony I keep from her if I need it so I took a tuft of dead grass from under the traffic cone they were under and plopped them in a container to merge them with my others so they would have queens (i captured one I spotter to guarantee I got queens) and i captured 3+ queens in total, about 300+ pieces of brood and about 150 more workers. The colonies are being merged, are showing what I call "merger syndrome" where they fight out of confusion and will eventually get along as they have already stopped fighting at the time of this writing. I have been gradually removing the dead grass while limiting escapees from the formicarium to clean up the setup, the queens have not yet entered the nest as the workers have blocked the entrance to get in with brood(dummies) but the move will be done in the next couple days. expect updates weekly or so or when something happens

No pictures due to a crappy lil flip phone that cannot send pictures here so rip 

• Canadant likes this

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 18 2019 - 1:22 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This the one your proceratium is eating.

#3 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 18 2019 - 1:26 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

This the one your proceratium is eating.

Correct 

#4 Offline Canadant - Posted August 19 2019 - 2:26 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
I'm not sure how posters on here catch wild colonies. Do you use a shovel? My God, if I find a large established nest there is no way I'd be able to find a queen in these.

I found a beautiful colony of crematogastor Cersei in a walk the other day. I turned over a small rock and beneath was a HUGE brood pile. Wish I could collect it.

Any tips on collecting wild colonies?
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#5 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted August 19 2019 - 2:46 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland

Depends on which species but for Tapinoma sessile, at least where I live, they are literally everywhere. I put down an tube like container in my yard for a few days and when I brought it back in it was crawling with a couple hundred atns and dozens of queens. 

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#6 Offline BeginnerAntKeeper - Posted August 19 2019 - 11:04 PM

BeginnerAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Wow! I wonder why they decided that tube was a good nest...
  • MrEnfenete likes this

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted August 20 2019 - 1:51 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Tapinoma sessile will take advantage of almost any space if it offers the right humidity, moisture availability being a key factor in their determining a nest site.  I suspect the tube offered such a space.  

• Martialis, MegaMyrmex and TennesseeAnts like this

#8 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 20 2019 - 3:15 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Tapinoma sessile will take advantage of almost any space if it offers the right humidity, moisture availability being a key factor in their determining a nest site.  I suspect the tube offered such a space.  

yeah they are the most opportunistic lil guys I know of the first colony was found in and under a sheet of folded paper/cardboard and were in the wooden border for our fruit trees(I chopped them down a month ago) using it for the heat as the paper kept them concealed but they were able to use the heat by being in the open

#9 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 20 2019 - 3:21 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

SO I have an update fellas

Both colonies have moved in and each is using a different side of the casita(by tarheelants) workers go back and forth but sometimes there is still a small bit of fighting, mostly since they are evenly matched (its almost always a 1v1) they just stand there for an hour till one gets the upperhand and draggs her opponent out of the nest only for her to return. I fed them some sugur water to see who is going out of the nest and the second colony is passive to the other colony while the first colony is fairly hesitant/cautious but there is extended gasters on both sides... these guys are weird. ALSO I got a sensus on how many queens were present and there are 9 with already 150+ eggs on the glass of one of the chambers and over 200 eggs in the same chamber as well with a lot of pupae and larvae. neither colonies nest near the hydration well even though it gives some needed humidity THESE GUYS ARE WEIRD but they are also pretty neat as well and I believe they should become stars in this forum.

One more thing, It took TWO MONTHS but my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus has her first worker, there are 4 more who have yet to get workers, 2 with eggs and 2 with pupae(I caught them all on the same day yet only have eggs after eating all the larvae)

TOODLES

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#10 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 21 2019 - 2:21 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

another quick update fellas. There is now one queen on the other side of the nest laying eggs with colony no 1 and since she is from colony no 2 I assume they have each mellowed out from one another and should be fine now and should prosper given enough food. What is a good diet for Tapinoma? I know they like aphids but how much protein should a colony of 1k+ members be offered given they have way more brood than workers I am offering them some sugur water every 2 days and protein every day sugur water is not offered. Would they like peanut butter or leftover chicken?

#11 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 22 2019 - 3:30 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

The colony has eaten a mealworm cut up into 3 pieces along with some sugur water and the queens seem to be laying eggs, there are less eggs on the glass of the nest but I have seen them in the other side of the nest with colony no1 so this colony is on a role not to mention the rediculous amounts of brood which should keep them going till well into next spring

#12 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted August 22 2019 - 5:17 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland

How did you get yours to eat mealworms? All of my colonies refused everything but honey, sugar water, and fruit flies.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 23 2019 - 9:03 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Depends on which species but for Tapinoma sessile, at least where I live, they are literally everywhere. I put down an tube like container in my yard for a few days and when I brought it back in it was crawling with a couple hundred atns and dozens of queens. 

I've actually only seen one colony in my entire life. I thought I had caught a couple dealates a year or so ago (they died, probably infertile), yet now I'm pretty positive they're Dorymyrmex cf. insanus.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 23 2019 - 9:04 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

How did you get yours to eat mealworms? All of my colonies refused everything but honey, sugar water, and fruit flies.

Well, at least you don't have to worry about variety....

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#15 Offline BeginnerAntKeeper - Posted August 23 2019 - 9:34 PM

BeginnerAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Do you think it could work in a tropical country?

Edited by BeginnerAntKeeper, August 23 2019 - 9:34 PM.

#16 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:06 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Do you think it could work in a tropical country?

They will use anything they can to nest, I've seen them nested in a toy boat, in a traffic cone(colony no 2 in this journal) in between a piece of cardboard/paper(Colony no 1 in this journal) and they are everywhere

#17 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:09 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Lots of eggs, they put dirt all around the bottle cap of sugar water and they are eating another meal worm as we speak, i'm trying to keep protein and sugars high to prevent any future die-offs and if it happens there will be a lot of eggs. population seems to be increasing as I know there is one chamber with the ceiling covered in callows.

Idk i chopped them up into 2 and 3 pieces each with a (rly sharp knife) and they just eat it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users