• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should I risk it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted July 1 2017 - 2:34 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
I caught 2 Tetramorium queens today and I am wondering if I should combined them into one test tube. I am worried however that they might kill each other. Should I do it?

#2 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted July 1 2017 - 3:01 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
I decided to do it and they seem ok. The wierd thing is that one queen has 2 of her legs on top of the other. Is this normal?

Edited by Aquaexploder, July 1 2017 - 3:02 PM.

#3 Offline Reacker - Posted July 1 2017 - 3:29 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Yes, do it. 

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted July 1 2017 - 3:47 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Most Tetramorium species can found in pleometrosis but there's only a few that are truly polygynous.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted July 1 2017 - 3:55 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Most Tetramorium species can found in pleometrosis but there's only a few that are truly polygynous.

So should I split them up? The seem to be doing fine, but if you recommend it I will gladly do it because I rather not take the chance.

Edited by Aquaexploder, July 1 2017 - 3:58 PM.

#6 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 1 2017 - 6:19 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

So should I split them up? The seem to be doing fine, but if you recommend it I will gladly do it because I rather not take the chance.

TBH they reproduce so quickly...  not a big deal to have them separate as they'll get to a good size with a single queen. 

• Aquaexploder likes this

#7 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted July 1 2017 - 7:45 PM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

I've kept them together before when low on space. I've seen others say that one queen may eventually get killed off, but I haven't kept them together long enough to know if that's the case.

I'm sure there may be a maximum limit for their comfort, but I've kept up to 10 Tetramorium queens together during the founding stage and separated them after workers eclosed without any issues.

Edited by Cameron C. Thomas, July 1 2017 - 7:46 PM.

• Aquaexploder likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users