• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anyone culture fruit flies?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 10 2014 - 12:24 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I recently purchased a wingless fruit fly colony and I want to keep it going. One of the popular culture recipes I found involved some variation of instant mashed potato flakes and apple cidar vinegar. Seems simple enough. I mixed enough vinegar so the flakes were no longer "flaky" and it had the consistency of mashed potatoes.

I dumped some flies in and about 3/4 are stuck to the potato mix and look pretty dead. Was it too wet? Too much vinegar? I'd like to try old fruit but I'm not sure about keeping a rotting banana in my house...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline dermy - Posted October 10 2014 - 12:32 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

You have to add something for them to climb on, so they don't drown.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 10 2014 - 12:37 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Try putting string into the culture, or something to climb on, so they do not get stuck and drown. I use string in my culture.

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted October 10 2014 - 12:43 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Here is a post I once made on how to culture fruit flies: http://forum.formicu...g +fruit +flies

They need something to climb on.  I use little paper plates.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted October 10 2014 - 12:51 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Sounds like it was way too wet. I use a commercial product, but I generally mix mine with enough water to get a moist, crumbly texture. Once larvae arrive, they quickly turn the medium into a slurry.

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 10 2014 - 1:07 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I put in a bunch of "egg crate" fluorescent light cover pieces I had, figuring they could climb up it. Although typing this out I just had the realization that they can't fly to get up the structure... :dash:

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 10 2014 - 1:23 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I have a working, reusable fruit fly culture tube on Thingiverse.com that works with the same stuff I feed my ants.  I left one outside when it was cooler this spring, and ended up with wild fruit flies in it a few weeks later.  It will be available on Amazon, eventually.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 10 2014 - 1:55 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

I need to get on my culture game soon if I expect my colonies to grow. Luckily I have some time before the need for lots of protein arises in my colonies.

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#9 Offline Mads - Posted October 11 2014 - 5:33 AM

Mads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationInnisfail, Alberta, Canada
I use any kind of fruit for the base mixture, then add some soymeal for protein. Some people recommend adding a bit of yeast, but I haven't seen any huge difference when adding or not adding any. You can use any number of things as climbing materials, basically anything you have handy. Coffee filters work quite well, as does plastic screening.

If you do add the soymeal, be sure to keep an eye on the culture. I have had population explosions where I had to add more substrate or even divide the culture in half, as there were too many maggots in it. They will then produce too much ammonia which will in turn kill the entire culture. If you want a "safer" fail proof method, just go with the traditional mixes.

Mads

#10 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 11 2014 - 6:37 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Uh, do fruit flies have a pre-larval stage where they look a lot like mites? Or is my entire culture infected with mites :o ? Are parasitic mites the same ones that attack plants? Is it safe to dispose of my culture by feeding it to my carnivorous plants?? Or is it doomed??

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 11 2014 - 7:13 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

All cultures come with mites. It is a normal thing. However, these mites, like the maggots, feed on the substrate, and are not parasitic.

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 11 2014 - 7:14 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Whew! Thank you! I thought it was done for.

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 11 2014 - 7:17 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah, mine have them too.

Unless you see them attaching themselves to the flies, then they are not parasitic, and they only are eating the substrate.

#14 Offline Alza - Posted October 11 2014 - 7:47 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

so they don't kill ?

#15 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 11 2014 - 7:49 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No they are decomposers. There are mites that are parasitic to plants, animals, and then there are decomposers.

#16 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 11 2014 - 7:50 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

so they don't kill ?

Maybe only with their looks.

#17 Offline Alza - Posted October 11 2014 - 11:28 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I've been feeding fruit flies to my ants, does that mean there are decomposers in their test tubes ?

#18 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 11 2014 - 11:30 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I've been feeding fruit flies to my ants, does that mean there are decomposers in their test tubes ?

Most likely not, because they do not grab a hold of the fruit flies, and they would probably have nothing to live off of.

#19 Offline Alza - Posted October 11 2014 - 11:32 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

true.

#20 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 16 2014 - 9:23 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

By the way- here are the two species I am currently culturing.

Drosophila melanogaster (Wingless Variation):

Drosophilla hydei (Flightless Variation):

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users