• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dean's Myrmica Latifrons

myrmica

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dean_k - Posted October 9 2014 - 10:09 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

This is my first colony. I received a Myrmica colony (2 queens, 10ish workers) from Crystal.

I connected the test tube to Antcanada Omni nest.

IMG_2566_zpsb156367c.jpg

That was the setup I had. I checked again after 2 hours and the ants weren't moving at all. They didn't even seem to mind the light. But 4 workers were exploring the nest.

And I came up with an idea. I placed a (white) napkin below the ant tube and they started to freak out. I took the video by my cell phone, so excuse me for the low quality.

The ants started to freak out and immediately started to relocate eggs and so on to where there was no napkin underneath, so I covered the whole tube with a napkin.

It was actually funny, but the queen was dragged out by force. Two workers actually attempted to drag her all the way to the exit until the queen shook them off and started to clean her legs and antennas. She was in there for an additional hour even after everything was relocated.

I will update this journal.

Edited by dean_k, February 24 2015 - 9:33 PM.

#2 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 9 2014 - 10:26 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
What kind of myrmica are we talking about?
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted October 10 2014 - 5:51 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

One of the Myrmica species native to Alberta, Canada.

Myrmica are very difficult to ID, even with a microscope.   These are probably Myrmica detritinodis, M. latifrons, or M. lobifrons.  There is a lot of color variation in Myrmica so you have to count hairs using a high powered microscope.

Good idea with the napkin.  I will have to remember that one.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline dermy - Posted October 10 2014 - 10:47 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Nice looking colony Dean! Myrmica species grow really fast and are a good starter species for virtually anyone!

#5 Offline dean_k - Posted October 11 2014 - 7:08 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Just a small update. I don't have much to report.

IMG_2569_zpsbe1fe203.jpg

IMG_2570_zps6bb8b11d.jpg

IMG_2572_zps19bf1c4f.jpg

So far, they've moved to moist side of the nest. I've locked up upper floors.

They aren't doing much. I see one or two workers casually exploring the outworld from time to time but I don't see any clear visual indication of them picking up any food. I've seen them drink drops of apple juice. That's about it.

I've observed them for a while now and am able to distinguish the queens. There are two queens as Crystals told me.

I am going to observe them for few more days. I think hibernation might be also needed for them? I will ask Crystals.

Edited by dean_k, October 11 2014 - 7:14 AM.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted October 11 2014 - 7:50 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Smaller colonies are a bit less active - the bigger the colony the more active they are.

Myrmica are a species that need hibernation, 3-5 months is fine for them.  Myrmica are extremely forgiving when it comes to hibernation, so you can't really go wrong. The trick is knowing exactly when to put them into hibernation.

Larvae will survive hibernation with no problem, pupae and eggs won't.  If there are pupae, just wait until they eclose.  If there are less than 10 eggs, don't worry about them, the queen will lay even more in "spring".  If it is all mid-large larvae, feel free to put them in the fridge.  Once spring comes the larvae will continue developing.

Your particular colony was definitely slowing down and about to be put into hibernation sometime this week as long as none of the larvae pupated.

The fridge works perfectly, just ensure that there is some sort of sugar water/hummingbird nectar available at all times.  The only other thing to keep in mind is to ensure that they actually don't freeze, anything between 3-14C is fine.

I can't wait to see how fast this colony will grow with 2 queens once they come out of hibernation.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#7 Offline dean_k - Posted October 12 2014 - 12:55 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I've observed an interesting behavior tonight.

Crystals advised me to give them some kind of heat since my room seemed to be a little too cool for them and that it's making them hibernate. So, I went out to purchase a heat pad and placed the colony on it.

An hour later, the ants freaked out and moved eggs upstairs as if escaping from the heat, so I removed the pad immediately and went to bed.

When I woke up to drink some water at 5am, I saw ants (even QUEENS!) out in outworld drinking apple juice ?!

Does queen go out on their own to drink? I thought workers fed them? Did heat got to them?

IMG_2575_zps88c46c0f.jpg

IMG_2574_zps34078377.jpg

Edited by dean_k, October 12 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted October 12 2014 - 7:01 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Myrmica are semi-claustral, and these queens are famous for foraging while their colony is small.  The workers will feed them, but young Myrmica workers are not very bright.  With most species, once there are at least 5 workers, the queen lets them do all of the work.  With Myrmica, the queen will help tend to brood, forage, etc for quite some time.  My one colony has at least 50 workers and I occasionally see their queen out and about.

I would move the heat pad so only one corner of it is under one corner of the nest.  This will create a heat gradient and they will pick the temperature that suits them.

My Colonies

#9 Offline dean_k - Posted October 12 2014 - 7:10 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Thanks. It's been very educational even if it's been only few days.

Those are actually cigarette filters in the outworld soaked in apple juice. I have millions of them since I own a smoke shop :P

One of the queens went back, but the other queen is still hanging about in outworld.

#10 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 12 2014 - 9:16 AM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Awesome. Looks like they are doing well. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#11 Offline dean_k - Posted October 12 2014 - 7:05 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

IMG_2599_zps77419e56.jpg

IMG_2603_zps4b3f48a0.jpg

IMG_2604_zps7909440a.jpg

IMG_2605_zps0bf82668.jpg

A minor update

The temp at the nest reads 24c.

The larvae grew, I think. Some of them have their dark dot got bigger.

Their outworld is currently filled with apple juice (A dispenser and a soaked medium method) and egg white for protein. Until I get ByFormica's ant supplements, this is the only reliable way for me to provide them with protein and I've seen workers dipping into it.

There used to be only one or two workers out in Outworld. Now there are 4 to 6 workers outside all the time.

One queen is back in the nest. The other queen is hanging on the dish of egg white. 2 workers are consistently licking her and checking her out. They are literally with her all the time. I don't know what this behavior means. Maybe, the 2nd queen isn't feeling well ?

Edited by dean_k, October 12 2014 - 7:06 PM.

#12 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 12 2014 - 7:30 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Don't most species that have multiple founding queens usually oust the 'weaker' queen(s) at some point? 

I don't mean to say it's happening in this particular case. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 12 2014 - 8:01 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Myrmica are polygynic.

#14 Offline Crystals - Posted October 13 2014 - 6:16 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

This is a new nest and the queen could be "lost".  Try to herd her back into the formicarium with a toothpick or using a light blast of air from a syringe or something.

My Colonies

#15 Offline dean_k - Posted October 13 2014 - 7:07 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

The seemingly lost queen was nowhere to be seen in outworld this morning, so I assume she went back. I can't tell from their nest because too many ants are huddled up together.

Edited by dean_k, October 13 2014 - 8:15 AM.

#16 Offline dean_k - Posted October 14 2014 - 3:31 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

A minor update.

I am noticing a pattern in their behaviors. Since I have no intention of relocating their nest ever, I've let them be exposed to ambient light during day and total darkness during night. I've noticed that they do a lot of work during night than day. During day, there have been almost always one worker in outworld only. During night, like 5am when I woke up to pee, I see 4 to 5 workers in outworld.

With this discovery, I put new food in evening.

Anyway, I wasn't going to give them insects because I have someone in my house who gets grossed out at sight of worms and such, but after I gave them a bee which they went crazy over, I decided to give them a semi-dried mealworm from Zoomed from a local pet store.

Crystals warned me of food preservatives might harm the ants, but upon googling, Zoo med mealworms may not use a lot of preservatives since they tend to go bad within days even in fridge. The worms are cooked and then canned. The can cover has a warning that the worms will go bad in a week.

So, I decided to try it out.

IMG_2612_zps4ee3d9aa.jpg

IMG_2610_zps0e3a9fd2.jpg

IMG_2611_zps1ffb3137.jpg

IMG_2615_zpsbbf8c75e.jpg

From the first photo, you can see a yellowish object.  It's a bee gaster. They brought that in. Although you can't see from the photo because the light scared it off, one of the queens was feeding on it.

Bad news is that the worm is already smelling foul and it's been out there for only 2 hours. It's going bad fast, I think.

Edited by dean_k, October 14 2014 - 3:32 PM.

#17 Offline dean_k - Posted October 19 2014 - 3:21 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Oct 19th 2014 : A minor update

I've been trying ByFormica's Blue 100 and Aqua 300.

I've let them have Blue 100 for 2 days. I saw them eating it but none of larvae changed its colors. And today I've tried Aqua 300 and put it alongside of Blue 100.

After 7 hours, I am seeing few larvae have changed their colors slightly to greenish.

Untitled2_zps2f68f5f6.png

Untitled1_zps08130357.png

You may be able to distinguish the different colors between larvae, especially the larva in the middle that an ant is tending to.

Edited by dean_k, October 19 2014 - 3:25 PM.

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 19 2014 - 3:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Those are some big chunks.

#19 Offline dermy - Posted October 20 2014 - 12:24 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

No kidding! I think your only supposed to give them a small amount.

#20 Offline dean_k - Posted October 20 2014 - 12:34 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

The thing is that I'd be throwing most of it away even if I give them those chunks. I have only one colony.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users