• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colobopsis mississippiensis

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 4 2017 - 9:10 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Hello everyone,

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this; I considered The Ant Photography Thread, but I do want as much feedback as possibly if any of you more experienced hobbyists are willing to share any information about this species.

Nearly a month ago, I published an identification thread concerning a supposed small (3 mm) Camponotus Myrmentoma minor worker I found in my front yard, which the legendary BatSpiderFish somehow correctly identified as Colobopsis mississippiensis, despite the utterly miserable photos I provided. I was very, very hesitant to leave it at this, so I took some more photos of another minor I found on the same tree, and managed to get some good shots of the underside of her head, which revealed her flat face and confirmed the identification as Colobopsis mississippiensis.

Up until today, I had been suspicious about this identification for several reasons. This mainly had to do with the apparent lack of documentation of this species in Pennsylvania; there had been zero records of Colobopsis mississippiensis in PA according to Antmaps. I know a number of you who live in Southern and Midwestern regions of the States tend to come across members of this genus fairly often, but from my understanding they are significantly rarer in relatively Northern states like PA. 

Inspired by MrILoveTheAnts's latest video, I went out this morning to offer the Myrmica incompleta colony at the base of the same tree a petri dish full of sesame seeds, just to see what they'd do. I stayed there for a little bit and watched as the ants hesitantly approached the petri dish, and noticed a couple Crematogaster-sized Colobopsis minors rummaging around on the bark. They closely resembled Camponotus caryae workers, although they were much smaller.

I hadn't seen any Colobopsis workers in a couple days, so I was rather excited to see them running around. I looked at them a little more closely to (attempt to) make out a flat face, but they were too small and moved too quickly for me to really be confident they were Colobopsis. A few minutes later I stood up and inspected the side of the tree, and saw a beautiful, red and black major worker running around on the bark of the trunk! Now I can confidently confirm that these are in fact Colobopsis mississippiensis!

I took a few photos of the ant, but my camera refused to focus on her head so they aren't the best. If any of you know about these ants' foraging habits, preferred diet, nuptial flights or activity feel free to drop on by and share some info! :)

Thank you BatSpiderFish for helping me identify these, and I'm sorry I doubted you! 

USEP1080269_zpss93eb9pm.jpgUSE_zpsn9iy9i7g.jpgUSEP1080271_zpsbwixolco.jpgUSEP1080266_zpsusczlu51.jpgUSEP1080273_zpswqxjkzaq.jpgUSEP1080279_zps15vx6gy0.jpgUSEP1080289_zpslqnqq6ff.jpgUSEP1080283_zpsclxetpe6.jpgUSEP1080301_zpszdodegul.jpgUSEP1080281_zpsx0ltnxgx.jpgUSEP1080291_zpsa0tfdt9i.jpg

And some thirsty Crematogaster cerasi:)

USEP1080255_zpszemnlksx.jpgUSEP1080251_zps4kx7uljj.jpg

Edited by VoidElecent, June 4 2017 - 1:03 PM.

• MrILoveTheAnts, ctantkeeper, Martialis and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 5 2017 - 8:49 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Beautiful worker! The Crematogaster shots are cool, too.

• VoidElecent likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 6 2017 - 9:15 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Beautiful worker! The Crematogaster shots are cool, too.

Thanks, unfortunately my 10 megapixel point and shoot doesn't have wonderful resolution, but I can still get some pretty decent shots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users