• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this 8mm ant a black queen ant ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SH.17 - Posted June 6 2017 - 12:42 PM

SH.17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi,in the pictures below are what i think a 8mm queen with it's 4mm worker . I found it in are yard the day after I dug it up a little bit .I would like to know if it is a queen or not and if possible what species it is . they are bit shiny especially the queen abdomen.

(Top pic with worker behind the queen )

20170606 231815
20170606 232516

#2 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted June 6 2017 - 12:49 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

That looks like a queen ant, though we cannot confirm its species, nor give you any advice from the information you have provided us. We would need better pictures of the ants (you can use the same camera, just make sure they are closer and clear), distinguishing characteristics of the ants and a proper description of where you found them. Please see the ID guide and post a proper ID thread.

Edited by Bracchymyrmex, June 6 2017 - 12:50 PM.

#3 Offline SH.17 - Posted June 6 2017 - 1:05 PM

SH.17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks,  unfortunately I can't focus on it because it moves so much . But are yard has no grass it's full of leaves from are acacia tree and gets sugar from are aphids in the tree.

We also have a lot of rose bushes and the humidity in are region is very low , but are yard is usually moist .

20170606 232136
20170606 231643

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 6 2017 - 1:57 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Location?

#5 Offline SH.17 - Posted June 6 2017 - 8:59 PM

SH.17