• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rayne, Louisiana 6/1/2017

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CajunNative - Posted June 1 2017 - 3:09 PM

CajunNative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

1. Location of collection: On my driveway
2. Date of collection: today -6/1/2017
3. Habitat of collection: Right after a shower rain
4. Length (from head to gaster): Couldn't measure her
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Brownish Orange head and Thorax with black stripes, black abdomen 
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Orange with black stripes
7. Distinguishing behavior: Very calm
8. Nest description: No nest

CcoadqL.jpgIH5dqQe.jpgmVAXKbk.jpg

So you know I can't post these without some kind of backstory. I found her on the driveway while I was looking for Solenopsis invicta queens. They had just had their flights the other day and I was looking for any late fliers when I found her. Now she could still be a fire ant queen with just a brighter coloration but I hadn't ever seen one so bright before. So I figured I'd catch her and see just what we have here. 

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted June 1 2017 - 3:12 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Without measurements, an ID is virtually impossible. :( Sorry!

Edited by Martialis, June 1 2017 - 3:12 PM.

• VoidElecent likes this
Spoiler

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 1 2017 - 3:48 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Martialis is right; length is crucial for almost any identification. Even if it's just photographed beside a dime or a pencil, a relative conception of how large the specimen is can provide so much information.

Aside from that, there's not too much to go off of. Looking at the queen's general shape and presence of a post-petiole node, I think it's safe to say this species looks like a member of the Myrmicinae subfamily, which does narrow it down to a few options. Since her head isn't abnormally large compared to the rest of her body, I would eliminate Pheidole spp. (Although I may be wrong, I know some Pheidole species do fly this time of year). After that, I'd suggest either Monomorium spp. or Solenopsis spp. and since most of the Monomorium species local to your area are generally black, I may even go so far to eliminate them from the running.

This leaves Solenopsis. From what I know, this is a relatively large genus so your ant could be a member of a number of species. It may be wise to eliminate the molesta group, I know queen thief ant gasters' are generally much lighter in coloration that this (I could be wrong, you're not usually supposed to base identifications off of solely coloration). Your best bet is probably Solenopsis invicta or a similar species such as S. geminata or S. xyloni; accurate measurements and maybe a few closer shots would prove to be very helpful at this point.

Other than that, I just know she's a beautiful queen, hands down! Good luck raising her! :)

Edited by VoidElecent, June 1 2017 - 5:24 PM.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 1 2017 - 4:47 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Looking at the queen's general shape and absence of a post-petiole node, I think it's safe to say this species looks like a member of the Myrmicinae subfamily, which does narrow it down to a few options. 

You mean presense of a postpetiole, if this is a Myrmicine species that is. (which I agree)

#5 Offline CajunNative - Posted June 1 2017 - 5:06 PM

CajunNative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

I was able to find my tape measure. She's 8mm. I also got some better pictures of her so you can see her nodes and body shape. 

XAJLw5b.jpg6h1U8xP.jpgggLy3wY.jpg

Edited by CajunNative, June 1 2017 - 5:18 PM.

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 1 2017 - 5:24 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Looking at the queen's general shape and absence of a post-petiole node, I think it's safe to say this species looks like a member of the Myrmicinae subfamily, which does narrow it down to a few options. 

You mean presense of a postpetiole, if this is a Myrmicine species that is. (which I agree)

Yes, I meant 'presence' of a postpetiole. Thanks for catching that.

• Nathant2131 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users