• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

lasius claviger

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline benjiwuf - Posted October 6 2014 - 3:06 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

Has anyone had success with this species? I could use some tips on keeping them safe and alive. right now they are in a formicarium (as I've read they will produce too much citronella scents and will kill themselves with it). I have 5 workers from the colony releasing queens taking care of a queen who is currently working on removing her wings.

#2 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 6 2014 - 3:57 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Good luck! That is all I can say, I never had one
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted October 6 2014 - 4:44 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Treat them like a cross of Lasius and Formica.  They will prefer the conditions that most Lasius like, while you want their formicarium to have plenty of ventilation like is preferred with Formica that produce lots of formic acid.  Also try not to alarm them too much, leaving them uncovered is fine, but make sure your shadow doesn't cross the glass.  A sturdy shelf or desk which is rarely bumped is also a good way to go.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 24 2014 - 2:23 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How is she doing?

#5 Offline benjiwuf - Posted November 24 2014 - 4:54 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

i caught quite a few, and most have died. i have 1 or 3 left though. they do NOT survive well in the traditional test tube setup as they need a ridiculous amount of air flow or their citronella scent will literally kill them. all my ants are in hibernation though at the moment so we'll see how she is doing in a few months.

Edited by benjiwuf, November 25 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 24 2014 - 1:19 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Never smelled this smell, is it a nice smell? I think next year if I catch one, I will just have wire mesh covering their formicarium, maybe a natural room freshener!

#7 Offline benjiwuf - Posted November 24 2014 - 2:53 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

i think it smells nice, but they can get overpowering. think of a really strong smelling mosquito repelling citronella candle. that's about as close as i can come up with for a comparisson of the top of my head lol.

#8 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 24 2014 - 2:55 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I have had these before, they die very quickly if not taken care of. You should treat her somewhat like a semi-claustral queen and add pupa from another Lasius sp.

#9 Offline benjiwuf - Posted November 24 2014 - 2:57 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

that's what i want to do, but i have to find some lasius colonies next spring. until then she's in hibernation, she seems to be enjoying herself so far though.

#10 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 24 2014 - 4:06 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

that's what i want to do, but i have to find some lasius colonies next spring. until then she's in hibernation, she seems to be enjoying herself so far though.

I have had them just sit without anything and they all died within 2 days. Just be careful! Try feeding them honey every so often.

#11 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 25 2014 - 9:31 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Lasius (Acanthomyops) smell a lot like the herb, lemon balm, Melissa officinalis, Gregory.

• Gregory2455 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users