• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Boston, MA, 5/24/2017

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline randeee - Posted May 24 2017 - 11:06 AM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

1. Location of collection:  On sidewalk curb
2. Date of collection: May 18, 2017
4. Length (from head to gaster):2.79'' or 7.09 cm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Very black with brownish stripes on smooth shiny gaster
6. Distinguishing characteristics:  Very long antennae and decent sized head

RgKyAue.jpg

gvGV12l.jpg

Wp00dVW.jpg

3HGjHGP.jpg

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 24 2017 - 11:12 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Check the measurements, please.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline randeee - Posted May 24 2017 - 11:16 AM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Check the measurements, please.

oops, I guess they were terribly off. I was using an iphone app. A little more than 1mm would probably be more accurate but then again I am using an online ruler this time.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 24 2017 - 11:25 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

1cm is possible, but I don't see the clypeal notch that would indicate something from the Myrmentoma subgenus of Camponotus. I would wait to use a tangible measuring implement.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 24 2017 - 11:40 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Looks like Camponotus, but yes we need measurements.

Edited by Nathant2131, May 24 2017 - 11:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users