• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID - Escondido, Ca - 5/19/17

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hayashi - Posted May 19 2017 - 2:09 PM

Hayashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVista, California
1. Location of collection: Escondido, Ca
2. Date of collection: 5-19-17
3. Habitat of collection: construction site surrounded by dry foothills / chaparral
4. Length (from head to gaster): 5mm - 6mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: red head and thorax. Black and gold striped gaster
6. Distinguishing characteristics: one petiole node.
7. Distinguishing behavior: frantic, fast movements when first caught.

I collected 8 of these crawling on the sidewalk.

76O12rb.jpg
P4bv9m5.jpg
tJRCkxx.jpg
xaa2Af4.jpg

Thanks for the help!

#2 Offline Herdo - Posted May 19 2017 - 3:44 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona
EDIT: Never mind. I think Batspiderfish is right.

Edited by Herdo, May 19 2017 - 3:47 PM.

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 19 2017 - 3:45 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Dorymyrmex sp.

Actually, it could be Forelius, considering the hairiness.

Edited by Batspiderfish, May 19 2017 - 3:48 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline Hayashi - Posted May 22 2017 - 6:20 AM

Hayashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVista, California
Thanks Herdo and Batspiderfish. After looking up pictures of Forelius queens, I would agree that's what I've got. I currently have all 8 in individual test tubes. Since Antwiki says they are polygnynous, perhaps I'll combine a few to see how they do. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users