• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to "Brood Boost"?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 5 2017 - 3:05 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hey, I have been hearing a lot about brood boosting, I was just wondering, what is brood boosting, and how do you do it?

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted September 5 2017 - 3:09 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
The following is NOT my content.

" it's when you take eggs (if you have only a queen), larva, pupae, from another nest (just those not the workers) and place them into your nest to boost the number. Most cases the existing colony will adopt them as their own thus increasing your colony faster. Like I said if you only have a queen you can only do the eggs and that because the other stages of growth require works to tend to and feed them."
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 5 2017 - 3:12 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Oh ok, how would you ever get the brood? I mean ant larvae in established colony can be super deep underground.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 5 2017 - 3:34 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Oh ok, how would you ever get the brood? I mean ant larvae in established colony can be super deep underground.

It's kind of a luck sort of thing, just look a lot. It also depends on the species, camponotus brood are really easy to get.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#5 Offline Stroomschok - Posted September 5 2017 - 10:11 PM

Stroomschok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Actually, brood is typically kept where it's warmer. I particular the pupae are kept in the places of the nest where it's the warmest and most dry. Often this means right under the rocks or wood layers that are on the surface and get a lot of sunlight.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#6 Offline Shaye - Posted September 6 2017 - 1:53 AM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

" it's when you take eggs (if you have only a queen), larva, pupae, from another nest (just those not the workers) and place them into your nest to boost the number. Most cases the existing colony will adopt them as their own thus increasing your colony faster. Like I said if you only have a queen you can only do the eggs and that because the other stages of growth require works to tend to and feed them."

Wait.. What? You can boost larvae and pupae for a single queen though. Pupae is averagely what is boosted with. I don't really think people boost queens with eggs..

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#7 Offline Barristan - Posted September 6 2017 - 2:12 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

You can boost with eggs and larvae but I'd only boost with pupae. The purpose of boosting is to help a founding queen so that she'll have workers faster. If you boost with eggs and larvae you won't help her at all since she has to feed the larvae and therefore spend precious resources she brought from her "mother colony". Pupae however don't require any food, so the queen will get workers for free.

But make sure too boost with worker pupae. I saw a lot of pictures in various forums people posted which showed pupae of queens. These won't help but harm the colony since the young queens need food and won't provide any benefit.

• T.C. and FeedTheAnts like this

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted September 6 2017 - 7:10 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Wait.. What? You can boost larvae and pupae for a single queen though. Pupae is averagely what is boosted with. I don't really think people boost queens with eggs..

I wouldn't recommend it. The queen only has enough reserves in her body to take care of so much brood in the founding process.

You can boost with eggs and larvae but I'd only boost with pupae. The purpose of boosting is to help a founding queen so that she'll have workers faster. If you boost with eggs and larvae you won't help her at all since she has to feed the larvae and therefore spend precious resources she brought from her "mother colony". Pupae however don't require any food, so the queen will get workers for free.

But make sure too boost with worker pupae. I saw a lot of pictures in various forums people posted which showed pupae of queens. These won't help but harm the colony since the young queens need food and won't provide any benefit.

This too.It can be difficult to tell for new people in the hobby, but I have found, colonies will keep their alate brood seperated from their worker brood

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#9 Offline Shaye - Posted September 7 2017 - 1:29 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

I wouldn't recommend it. The queen only has enough reserves in her body to take care of so much brood in the founding process.

I'm really not sure what you are trying to say. In your original statement, you used someone's text and claimed that it was not yours (yet in posting it you partially claimed it as your answer, and that answer was utterly confusing and wrong).
Please re-read it if you disagree. In your second reply, to me saying that you actually can boost with pupae and larvae, you said you did not recommend it because the queen only has so much 'reserves'. That would be an excellent point if you were to give her an insane amount of larvae & were not feeding her (which I did not mean), but your statement did not even separate a response to larvae and pupae. Pupae do not take any work until they eclose. Your original response claimed that eggs were ideal for single queens, yet eggs will claim the most time and resources from the queen in the end.

Edited by Shaye, September 7 2017 - 1:33 PM.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users