• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium - Fish meal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Giresunlu - Posted May 20 2017 - 8:32 AM

Giresunlu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Its love fish food. Should I continue to feed?

#2 Offline Herdo - Posted May 20 2017 - 9:05 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona
Mikey from Antscanda fed one of his colonies fish food in this video.

Not saying it's the best food source for them, but I doubt it could hurt.

By the way, anyone know what type of fish food Mikey is giving his colony? I'm trying to find some more shelf stable foods, but all I'm finding are "flakes" and "pellets" as far as fish food goes. The stuff he's feeding looks more like clumps of powder.

Edited by Herdo, May 20 2017 - 9:07 AM.

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 20 2017 - 9:15 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I feed my Tetramorium sp. e colonies Tetramin fish flakes on days when they only receive carbohydrates as a way of giving them access to raw protein as well as natural oils (krill oil that is). colonies fed this food item regularly (along with their usual diet), tended to produce more brood as a result and brood mortality rates seemed to drop as well. It also has the added benefit of changing the color of the larvae to pink / orange in color, allowing you to follow the transport of food throughout the nest. It also seems as though different larval instars favor different varieties of flake based on their contents. I personally refrain from using "green flakes" because they consist more so of algae and various forms of plant material. I would keep on feeding them fish food, all of my colonies go nuts for the stuff. 

• Giresunlu likes this

#4 Offline BMM - Posted May 20 2017 - 9:29 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Fish food is known to sometimes contain mites eggs, so be careful.

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted May 20 2017 - 1:14 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Oh? Where did you hear that?

• AntWaifu likes this
Spoiler

#6 Offline BMM - Posted May 20 2017 - 2:23 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I keep pill bugs, which many people feed fish food, and that's a common warning. It's not a major risk with them because the they'll usually out compete the mites.

#7 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted May 20 2017 - 6:29 PM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

I keep pill bugs, which many people feed fish food, and that's a common warning. It's not a major risk with them because the they'll usually out compete the mites.

interesting to know! I've always wanted to keep pill bugs as a clean up crew in some of my tarantula enclosures. 

Check out my Youtube

#8 Offline Giresunlu - Posted May 20 2017 - 10:59 PM

Giresunlu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the answers.  :)  :yahoo:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users