• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Video Recording Antfarm

video journal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sunrunner4kr - Posted May 4 2017 - 12:04 PM

sunrunner4kr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationManchester, United Kingdom

Hi all,

My first post so sorry if this has been covered before. I had a search through the forum but couldn't find anything for how to video record.

I've just set up a Lasius Niger queen in a small Omninest with my daughter.

We had planned to record a video journal of the nest and was hoping some of you might have some suggestions for the best video recording equipment to use?

I could set up a Macro lens on a digital camera, but seems a bit excessive and not as easy to handle for my daughter.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Simon & Bo

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted May 4 2017 - 1:15 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

There are plenty of cheap clip on macros for phones on ebay and amazon, don't go overboard because in the end it will function the same.

I recommend a test tube setup 100% over an "Omninest". Queens should not be in full on nests. A test tube in 90% of the cases is the best option for queens.

• LC3, T.C. and sunrunner4kr like this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted May 4 2017 - 2:40 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I agree with Kevin here. That queen needs to be in a test tube set-up until she has her first workers or she may die in such a large nest. :) As for the camera, Unfortunately, I am the last person on this forum that should be giving photography tips. So, I want say anything about that.
  • sunrunner4kr likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline sunrunner4kr - Posted May 5 2017 - 1:43 PM

sunrunner4kr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks guys for the advice!

The queen is in a test tube atm, and she already has 10 workers. We have it connected to the Omninest, and allowing them to move in their own time :) I hope that makes more sense... :/

• LC3 and klawfran3 like this

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted May 5 2017 - 4:15 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

The queen is in a test tube atm, and she already has 10 workers. We have it connected to the Omninest, and allowing them to move in their own time :) I hope that makes more sense... :/

You should be able to fit about 25 Lasius workers in a test tube setup before moving them to a formicarium. There are also some know hydration issues with the Omninest, and I recommend you layer the bottom in a thin coating of grout, plaster, hydrostone, or any other gypsum cement and throw some sand on top when wet for a better surface and better hydration gradient.

• sunrunner4kr likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#6 Offline sunrunner4kr - Posted May 6 2017 - 12:00 AM

sunrunner4kr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You should be able to fit about 25 Lasius workers in a test tube setup before moving them to a formicarium. There are also some know hydration issues with the Omninest, and I recommend you layer the bottom in a thin coating of grout, plaster, hydrostone, or any other gypsum cement and throw some sand on top when wet for a better surface and better hydration gradient.

Thanks! Great advice. Is that in every chamber?

#7 Offline Leo - Posted May 6 2017 - 12:01 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

i believe so

#8 Offline sunrunner4kr - Posted May 6 2017 - 12:13 AM

sunrunner4kr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Great! Will give it a go, and come back with pictures!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: video, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users