• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Temnothorax curvispinosus (New Jersey)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted August 3 2017 - 2:49 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Temnothorax curvispinosus 

Collected From: Lakewood, NJ

Date Collected: 7/6/2017

On July 6, 2017 I collected this colony in their acorn. I kept the acorn in an out world and fed them dubia nymphs and honey water. On 8/1/2017 they moved out of the acorn into a test tube set up with foil over the entrance and a hole poked into it and I finally got to see the queen and how many of these little guys can cram into one tiny acorn! Enjoy! 

Test Tube Entrance

16 x 125 mm tube

Edited by Evanthomas89, September 30 2017 - 7:47 AM.

• MrILoveTheAnts, Nathant2131, rdurham02 and 1 other like this

Check out my Youtube

#2 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted August 3 2017 - 3:53 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

looks like you are going to have queens and drones too from that colony

• Evanthomas89 likes this

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted August 3 2017 - 7:38 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Did you get that colony to come out of the acorn?
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted August 3 2017 - 11:08 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

looks like you are going to have queens and drones too from that colony

that's what I thought when I saw that big fat larvae! 

Did you get that colony to come out of the acorn?

yes, first i cracked it mostly open with them still secure inside up as you can see in the video and I made the entrance to the tube more appealing thanks to advice from MrILoveTheAnts and they moved in within a few days. 

• lucas3431 likes this

Check out my Youtube

#5 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 3 2017 - 12:35 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

Congrat's, they're so tiny, how large can a colony grow do you know?

#6 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted August 3 2017 - 1:51 PM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

From what I've read this seems to be about as large of a colony as they will get. I think 50-100 workers for a mature colony but somebody may know better than me.
  • lucas3431 likes this

Check out my Youtube

#7 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 4 2017 - 7:59 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

From what I've read this seems to be about as large of a colony as they will get. I think 50-100 workers for a mature colony but somebody may know better than me.

Good things come in small packages and this is one of them. They seem rather tidy apart from the odd cricket leg but that's allowed. I look forward to reading more about these little guys.

#8 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 30 2017 - 7:45 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

A little update for these guys. I forgot about this journal. I feed them a roach a week along with a drop of honey water and they seem to be doing well. They don't forage often, I only really see them out in the mornings. Here's a picture of the queen and some freshly laid eggs. 

Queen with new eggs

• ColKurtz likes this

Check out my Youtube

#9 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 30 2017 - 1:14 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Thanks for the update! Very interesting species. Do you mind if I add your photos to antkeeping.wiki with full credits to you?

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#10 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 30 2017 - 5:56 PM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Thanks for the update! Very interesting species. Do you mind if I add your photos to antkeeping.wiki with full credits to you?

Not at all.   :)

Check out my Youtube

#11 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 30 2017 - 11:14 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Awesome! added: https://www.antkeepi..._curvispinosus :)

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#12 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted October 1 2017 - 3:44 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Nice! We will have to get the rest of that information filled out soon.  ;) I'll have to look through and see if there's anything on there I can contribute to based on my experience with them. 

• StopSpazzing likes this

Check out my Youtube

#13 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted October 2 2017 - 7:54 PM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

This colony is doing great. The only challenge will be hibernation. MrILoveTheAnts pointed out to me in a recent video I shared with him that I have a worker with a gaster significantly larger than the other workers. I was able to grab a good still from the video to show you all. Any suggestions how this might have happened? I'm thinking it could possibly be a well fed worker and first generation in captivity since I collected this colony from an acorn. Is there any other explanation? 

Queen and giant worker

• rdurham02 likes this

Check out my Youtube

#14 Offline LC3 - Posted October 2 2017 - 8:01 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

There seems to be a few larger then average workers (counted around 3), they have noticeably larger gasters. I remember something about Temnothorax in a paper that spawned the fact or whatever that ants are mostly lazy. In the paper it was detailed that around 25% of workers didn't do anything, it was also noted that of those ants that did nothing they mostly consisted of larger workers. One hypothesis the researchers came up with are that they acted as repletes.

#15 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted October 2 2017 - 8:06 PM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

There seems to be a few larger then average workers (counted around 3), they have noticeably larger gasters. I remember something about Temnothorax in a paper that spawned the fact or whatever that ants are mostly lazy. In the paper it was detailed that around 25% of workers didn't do anything, it was also noted that of those ants that did nothing they mostly consisted of larger workers. One hypothesis the researchers came up with are that they acted as repletes.

I'm pretty sure I read the same thing actually. I remember thinking about how mine appeared "lazy" as well but I always just thought they were happy and calm.  :yes:

Check out my Youtube

#16 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted October 3 2017 - 2:58 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Do they bite/sting? Does it hurt?

#17 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted October 3 2017 - 3:36 PM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Do they bite/sting? Does it hurt?

I'm not sure, I'd imagine they'd be capable of it but they are super easy going and have yet to attack me even when I cracked the acorn open. 

Check out my Youtube

#18 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted October 7 2017 - 11:20 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Awesome! And yeah Lakewood! I'm from Howell, but don't live there anymore. I've always tried to find a colony of these but I was never successful. Oh well! I can live vicariously by following the progress of your colony. :)

#19 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted October 7 2017 - 11:30 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Interesting colony you have there. I just find the size adorable. Is it difficult to feed many workers in a test tube?

#20 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted October 8 2017 - 5:20 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Awesome! And yeah Lakewood! I'm from Howell, but don't live there anymore. I've always tried to find a colony of these but I was never successful. Oh well! I can live vicariously by following the progress of your colony. :)

I live in Howell! haha. MILTA told me you were from my neck of the woods. 

Interesting colony you have there. I just find the size adorable. Is it difficult to feed many workers in a test tube?

They are super cute, very easy to feed, the don't get agitated much and actually seem to be pretty calm. I have the tube wrapped in foil with some feet so it doesn't roll placed in a plastic container with a baby powder barrier so I just leave the honey water drop on some foil in the outworld and a dead dubia roach nymph as well. When I pick the tube up to take pics or a video I just plug the end with a cotton ball and they don't seem to mind much at all. I probably desensitized them a bit after the trauma of cracking open their original acorn.  :X  

Check out my Youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users