• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Worker ID Request, Philadelphia, PA (4/29/17)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 29 2017 - 2:44 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

1. Location of collection: Ambler, PA
2. Date of collection: 2/29/17
3. Habitat of collection: Front Yard, drinking sugar water (located on both ash and oak trees)
4. Length (from head to gaster): ~2.5 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:  Bright red/orange in shade, very bright orange/yellow in sun. Some workers had very dark (close to black) gasters.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Postpetiole present.
7. Distinguishing behavior: Found foraging very closely to where C. pennsylvanicus and (either) C. nearcticus or C. caryae workers were foraging. For some workers, the wokers seemed to do most things in pairs- they followed each other around, and foraged with partners. 

8. Nest description: Tiny holes in weak (not dead) tree bark.

P1070534_zps09o6btus.jpgP1070536_zpsr4dhrg6u.jpg

P1070547_zpsh6llxlg2.jpgP1070560_zpsvtl4hznt.jpgP1070535_zpsqajelvxb.jpgP1070561_zpshknvawco.jpgP1070566_zpstyokxyz2.jpgP1070569_zpshwcmxe3d.jpg

note: Sorry the pictures aren't incredibly clear, still experimenting with this camera a little.

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:48 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Looks very much like Temnothorax curvispinosis or ambiguus.

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:18 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Looks very much like Temnothorax curvispinosis or ambiguus.

Really? From my experience, Temnothorax are usually lighter in coloration, and look more elongated (Postpetiole further from petiole). This reminds me of Stenamma, although I guess a lot of the evidence points to Temnothorax...

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:48 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
Yes, could be Stenamma. Now that I look closer, I think this is not Temnothorax. The small eyes could suggest Stenamma.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 30 2017 - 9:03 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I would stick with Temnothorax. The profile of the mesosoma is very even and the eyes are not too small. That the propodeal spines are so hard to see, T. ambiguus seems right.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 30 2017 - 9:03 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 30 2017 - 9:14 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I would stick with Temnothorax. The profile of the mesosoma is very even and the eyes are not too small. That the propodeal spines are so hard to see, T. ambiguus seems right.

Mm, this was my first impression that it was T. ambiguus because of the seemingly short propodeal spines.

I should have stuck to my instinct :lol:

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 30 2017 - 9:23 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Mm, this was my first impression that it was T. ambiguus because of the seemingly short propodeal spines.

T. ambiguus would make sense, however I am curious to know how exactly you ruled out Stenamma impar or Stenamma diecki. Did you use a guide?

I don't know if it really means anything, but this ant's head seems very boxy and relatively wider than that of a Temnothorax worker, and its mesosoma seems very triangular in shape. Once again, this probably doesn't mean anything.

It may also help to know that I've noticed these workers to be very slightly polymorphic (approx 2.2 mm to 2.9 mm), but this may simply have to do with the age of the worker. I have also noticed workers much more polychromatic than others, with very light mesosomas and gasters, to much darker, reddish-brown mesosomas and essentially black gasters.

edit: I do have access to 4 and 10 times magnification, would it help to get closer images?

Edited by VoidElecent, April 30 2017 - 9:26 AM.

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 30 2017 - 9:27 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

T. ambiguus would make sense, however I am curious to know how exactly you ruled out Stenamma impar or Stenamma diecki. Did you use a guide?

I don't know if it really means anything, but this ant's head seems very boxy and relatively wider than that of a Temnothorax worker, and its mesosoma seems very triangular in shape. Once again, this probably doesn't mean anything.

It may also help to know that I've noticed these workers to be very slightly polymorphic (approx 2.2 mm to 2.9 mm), but this may simply have to do with the age of the worker. I have also noticed workers much more polychromatic than others, with very light mesosomas and gasters, to much darker, reddish-brown mesosomas and essentially black gasters.

A Field Guide to the Ants of New England; Very helpful book, even for those outside of New England.

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 30 2017 - 9:40 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

edit: I do have access to 4 and 10 times magnification, would it help to get closer images?

We kinda don't have enough magnification/clarity, so that would probably help.

The basis by which I am tentatively ruling out Stenamma is the apparent lack of any notch on its mesosoma. The thorax of Temnothorax curves very uniformly, while Stenamma has a depression near the mesonotum. I would love to see better pictures.

• Nathant2131 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#10 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 30 2017 - 1:03 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Here are some closer images, they're also not perfect quality because believe it or not, it's not easy to take photos of ants with a camera, through the lens of a microscope. Hopefully they're sufficient; I can take some clearer photos if they are not.

P1070682_zpsaf1w85so.jpgP1070690_zps7pcywhu4.jpgP1070694_zpst9nscs4k.jpgP1070668_zpsvrw7nc5f.jpgP1070692_zps5hvmeqmo.jpgP1070686_zpsyeex7c3o.jpgIMG_3012_zpsqmyrup10.jpg

• Batspiderfish likes this

#11 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 30 2017 - 1:08 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Temnothorax ambiguus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users