• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dracut, MA (4/29/17)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 29 2017 - 7:17 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

1. Location of collection: Dracut, Massachusetts
2. Date of collection: 2/29/17
3. Habitat of collection: Front Yard on the edge of a small forest.
4. Length (from head to gaster): ~5 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:  Dark red mesosoma and legs, black head and gaster.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Postpetiole absent.
7. Distinguishing behavior: This ant was walking on the ground next to some trees. Prenolepis imparis and Tetramorium cf. caespitum were foraging very close.

8. Nest description: Nest not found

I am assuming Camponotus nearcticus or Camponotus caryae for this girl.

mI2RzKu.jpg

HKk9FIz.jpg

lQppa0l.jpg

#2 Offline Cindy - Posted April 29 2017 - 7:58 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
Unless you have walnut trees nearby, your best bet is camponotus nearcticus. I have a ton of these workers in my yard and coloration highly varies. Some have red mesosomas while some have black. They all have red legs, however.
  • Nathant2131 likes this

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 29 2017 - 8:17 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Unless you have walnut trees nearby, your best bet is camponotus nearcticus. I have a ton of these workers in my yard and coloration highly varies. Some have red mesosomas while some have black. They all have red legs, however.

The color vary part is very relatable. I just found another (I think a major) also with a black mesosoma.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 29 2017 - 2:32 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

The color vary part is very relatable. I just found another (I think a major) also with a black mesosoma.

I've found lots of workers very similar, if not identical, to this one in my front yard. Their colorations vary as well, some have lighter mesosomas and larger heads, while other workers are much smaller, jet black and shiny. Planning on starting an ID thread for mine, as well. I'm going with either C. nearcticus, or C. caryae.

edit: I didn't even see that you listed C. caryae and C. nearcticus as possibilities as well! :)

Edited by VoidElecent, April 29 2017 - 2:36 PM.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 29 2017 - 2:44 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Hair coverage on the gena (cheeks) will tell them apart. Camponotus nearcticus has none.

• Nathant2131 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 29 2017 - 2:46 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Hair coverage on the gena (cheeks) will tell them apart. Camponotus nearcticus has none.

Don't have the necessary tools for that, so I'll have to leave it at those two. One of the trees they forage on IS a walnut tree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users