• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

camponotus vicinus & modoc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dethlovesme - Posted May 3 2017 - 6:51 AM

dethlovesme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationsacremaneto ca

ok. today is may 3rd 2017

the C. vicinus and C, modoc colonies are the very first colonies i have ever had any experience with.

i purchased them on saturday apr 15 i believe. C.vicinus had 3 workers and a few brood. C. modoc had 2 workers and no brood.

(i recieved this colony for free because the queen had eaten the brood and the gan farmer wanted to give these guys away)

C. vicinus colony has been doing absolutely wonderful since i recieved them i have been feeding them termites mostly along side sugar water.

recently i have gotten them humingbird nectar and have been mixxing 1/2 water 1/2 humming bird nectar. most of the time i just give them water instead of the nectar. because i have made and placed a small bowl made from aluminum foil with a small piece of cotton inside to keep them from drowning in the stuff. about a week ago i found the very first worker dead. the other workers had moved her off to the side under the bark they so love.

( they are not kept in test tubes, more of a screw top jar with a small piece of bark in each that they seem to absolutely love! it makes it so much easier to clean)

now the C. modoc have not done anything accept eat.. and omfg there messy. the termite remains i have to acually go in manually and pick them up a ton because they don't eat the entire thing. and they just drop them wherever they so happen to be when finished.

this colony worries me. I'm scared they won't produce anymore workers and the workers that are currently with the queen are gonna die before more pupae are made.. I'm at a loss here no eggs in 3 weeks. i guess it doesnt help that when i open them up to feed and water them which i try to do every day to atleast make sure they have water, they get really stressed out and start freaking out. not sure what to do about these guys. should i put them away and forget about them for a week or so? will they starve to death if i do? suggestions?

Edited by dethlovesme, May 3 2017 - 7:00 AM.

Dethlovesme

#2 Offline dethlovesme - Posted May 4 2017 - 6:03 AM

dethlovesme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationsacremaneto ca

may 4th! i got home from work and checked on my ants, fed and watered them and found my C. modoc queen has laid 2 eggs!! faith restored!!

Dethlovesme

#3 Offline dethlovesme - Posted May 5 2017 - 2:04 PM

dethlovesme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationsacremaneto ca

may 5th came home from work this morning and found my C.vinus  larvae have started to pupate

Dethlovesme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users