• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Few photos of my ant colonies!!

trap jaws yellow crazy black crazy

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Offline limwhol - Posted April 26 2017 - 6:51 PM

limwhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

file.php?id=1617

file.php?id=1625

file.php?id=1626

file.php?id=1624

file.php?id=1621

file.php?id=1620

file.php?id=1619

file.php?id=1619

file.php?id=1618

• dermy, Barristan, Runner12 and 3 others like this

Welcome to visit the Chinese ant gallery site at https://antofchina.smugmug.com/, I am LaoJ, keeper of ants for 11 years, you could reach me at https://www.facebook.com/limwhol. Anything about Chinese ant species, just feel free to PM.

#2 Offline Antony - Posted April 26 2017 - 6:53 PM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Lao J?

Life is amazing, it is what it should be.

#3 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 26 2017 - 6:54 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Lao J?

xD

YJK

#4 Offline limwhol - Posted April 26 2017 - 6:55 PM

limwhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

file.php?id=1636

file.php?id=1635

file.php?id=1634

file.php?id=1633

file.php?id=1632

file.php?id=1631

file.php?id=1630

file.php?id=1629

file.php?id=1628

Lao J?

Yes?

• Barristan likes this

Welcome to visit the Chinese ant gallery site at https://antofchina.smugmug.com/, I am LaoJ, keeper of ants for 11 years, you could reach me at https://www.facebook.com/limwhol. Anything about Chinese ant species, just feel free to PM.

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 26 2017 - 6:55 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Very bueatiful pictures. Very high quality!

YJK

#6 Offline Antony - Posted April 26 2017 - 6:56 PM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Hey bro.

#7 Offline limwhol - Posted April 26 2017 - 6:59 PM

limwhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Hello mate. :D

• Antony likes this

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 27 2017 - 4:57 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I hope you aren't extracting Dorylus colonies from the wild, and that this is just a small worker sample. The reproductive strategies of army ants do not allow for sustainable collection by hobbyists. Rather than producing hundreds or thousands of queens, army ants can only manage to create one additional colony at a time.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 27 2017 - 4:58 AM.

• Jonathan21700 and Martialis like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#9 Offline Martialis - Posted April 27 2017 - 6:12 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Where did you see the Dorylus?

Edited by Martialis, April 27 2017 - 6:12 AM.

Spoiler

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 27 2017 - 6:30 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Where did you see the Dorylus?

2nd from the bottom (of the 2nd set of photographs).

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 27 2017 - 7:01 AM.

• Martialis likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#11 Offline Antony - Posted April 27 2017 - 7:14 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Sadly he didn't find a queen. batspiderfish, you might know a couple laws about USA and ants but he's in Asia. You can't tell him what not and what to do as dorylus is not a protected species and he can do as he pleases.

#12 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 27 2017 - 7:31 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Sadly he didn't find a queen. batspiderfish, you might know a couple laws about USA and ants but he's in Asia. You can't tell him what not and what to do as dorylus is not a protected species and he can do as he pleases.

I think you are taking my role a little too personally. It would be disgraceful to knowingly harm your ecosystem just to adorn yourself with a pet, regardless of its legality. Don't confuse informed concern with policing.

• dermy, Jonathan21700, Martialis and 1 other like this

----

#13 Offline T.C. - Posted April 27 2017 - 7:48 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Batspiderfish is not "telling" anyone here in the U.S. or other countries what they can or can't do! He is informing and advising you not to do something for the protection of the environment and for those in the U.S. to avoid them getting in trouble. It would be wise to listen to him.
  • Martialis likes this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#14 Offline Barristan - Posted April 27 2017 - 7:49 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Nice pictures.

Is this genus threatened in the region he lives? if no I don't see a problem.

Or to play the "evidence game" (which has become quite popular in this forum lately): Is there any evidence that this species is threatened?

Edited by Barristan, April 27 2017 - 7:52 AM.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#15 Offline Antony - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:02 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Nope, no evidence but batspiderfish to patrol the forum as he is a moderator(OMG). I definetly understand what he is trying to say and totally agree with him.

Edited by Antony, April 27 2017 - 8:46 AM.

• Alabama Anter likes this

#16 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:19 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Nice pictures.

Is this genus threatened in the region he lives? if no I don't see a problem.

Or to play the "evidence game" (which has become quite popular in this forum lately): Is there any evidence that this species is threatened?

Sometimes you have to accept that we don't live in a world where research has been done on every aspect of every ecological relationship. I am old enough to relay what other myrmecologists had to say about keeping Dorylinae back when myrmecologists liked coming to these forums. It's not hard to reason that a single hobbyist's ability to block an entire year of reproduction for a colony (or else remove the species entirely from the immediate environment) is not good for the species. If you are not satisfied with my answer, then ask somebody who knows more about this subfamily than you or I do.

Nope, no evidence but batspidersh** has to patrol the forum as he is a moderator(OMG). I definetly understand what he is trying to say and totally agree with him.

Please edit your post as to conform to rule 3.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 27 2017 - 8:27 AM.

• Jonathan21700 and Martialis like this

----

#17 Offline Martialis - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:22 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Perhaps not calling some of the most senior members of Formiculture profane names is a good course of action. All Batspiderfish was saying was that the reproductive strategies of army ants are so vastly different than other ants that it is irresponsible to collect gyne(queens).

• T.C. likes this
Spoiler

#18 Offline Antony - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:27 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Auto correct, can someone delete it please? I don't know how too.

#19 Offline T.C. - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:44 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Nope, no evidence but bathorseshit has to patrol the forum as he is a moderator(OMG). I definetly understand what he is trying to say and totally agree with him.

I suppose another auto correct? Or maybe your looking to get banned?

Sorry limwhol, your post has kind of been polluted. I was gonna say before, We have a ant photo thread that you should post these in. They are very nice quality, you should put them in there. :)

Edited by T.C., April 27 2017 - 8:50 AM.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#20 Offline Martialis - Posted April 27 2017 - 8:44 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Some autocorrect.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trap, jaws, yellow crazy, black crazy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users