• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping ants alive while away (important)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 17 2017 - 5:57 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

In June, I will be going away on vacation for a week. know one is willing to help me care for them while I am away and every time I have brought it up amongst friends and family, I have been turned down. Any solutions to this conundrum would be greatly appreciated. It should also be mentioned that mold prevention and brood "die-off" prevention are of utmost importance (Of course, clean water and worker nutrition are extremely important, but those can be resolved quite easily. Not to say I wouldn't like to hear a few ideas to solve this problem as well.).

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 17 2017 - 6:47 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I frequently leave for vacation over a week and have found what i believe to be the best solution and have not lost a colony since my first vacation were i only lost one colony.

Setup a test tube like you would normally, but leave it open ended in the outworld. I don't worry about feeding during vacation, just make sure you feed before you leave if you're worried.

With being gone for a week, the biggest concern is hydration over everything else. I've found that having the tube in the outworld allowed ants that require water in the nest to move to a temp spot, which was easy to coax them back to the nest once i could re-hydrate. As for some of my other species, they carried liquids back to their nest and never moved out. For larger colonies, put 2 or 3 tubes in the outworld.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 17 2017 - 9:35 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I will make sure to do that, but if I needed to feed them, what should I do? again, I really want to preserve the current amount of brood prior to the trip. I can offer carbohydrates in the form of a test tube setup loaded with sugar water (as well as a test tube full of clean drinking water). However, how should I offer protein?

#4 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 17 2017 - 10:08 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Tbh, i've never tried to combat brood loss while on vacation. I normally leave a fair amount of living insects in my larger colonies outworlds, or some dead ones in test tubes until i get back or next feeding. My Aphaenogaster picea will leave the living in the outworld until they're hungry to go out and kill the rest. I've had crickets live in outworlds for as long as a week. On the other hand my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony will kill everything living and bring the food to a dry spot in the nest, which it's usually piled for a couple of days until it's all consumed.

If you're gone for a week, i would seriously just consider feeding the night before and leaving it in there till you get back. Anything with a nest and outworld should maintain extra food and remove bits and pieces from the nest as they're done. With test tubes, pre-killed food is placed directly on the other side of the dry cotton, which it usually remains and is picked from or put back in the same spot once the ants are finished. I wouldn't say they're trained to put waste on the dry end, but more or less putting it as far from the nesting area as possible. I've never had a mold issue with doing this either, which IMO is successful.

I think if you were to try something to extensive for only a week vacation, you may end up putting too much time and effort into it or causing an issue you don't wanna come home to.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#5 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 17 2017 - 1:48 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I really don't want to leave them without food for a whole week. After I have put so much work into maintaining my colonies' brood stockpiles, I couldn't imagine risking all of my progress like that. I will take what you have said into consideration, but not feeding them is not a viable option (at least in my case).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users