• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Drones - St. Louis, MO 4/13/17

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BMM - Posted April 14 2017 - 4:34 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

1. Caught a little south of St. Louis in a suburban backyard.

2. 4/13/17
3. One was stuck in a bowl of water and the other was dead on my patio.
4. One is 11mm long and the other is 10mm.
5. They're both a black or very dark brown color, a little lighter at the gasters. No hair or other clear features.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure these are male ants. From what I know, the petiole isn't usually this distinct in wasps and the antennae are also in the L shape. The only two ant species I'm aware of in my backyard are Tetramorium tsushimae and Tapinoma sessile, and these definitely aren't from either of those.

Edited by BMM, April 14 2017 - 4:35 AM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 14 2017 - 5:10 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Can you clarify which measurement belongs to which ant?

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline BMM - Posted April 14 2017 - 6:03 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

The one in the first picture is 10mm long and the one in the second picture is 11mm long.

#4 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 14 2017 - 6:05 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

The antennae and legs look as if they belong to a wasp.

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 14 2017 - 6:12 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

The antennae and legs look as if they belong to a wasp.

Males often have very short antennal scapes, which is why it may look this way. Also, the petiole is present. This is an ant.

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 14 2017 - 7:44 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

It's a male ant, there's no doubt about that. This definitely looks very much like a Camponotus pennsylvanicus alate, but the slightly lighter coloration may point to Camponotus chromaiodes.

#7 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 14 2017 - 8:46 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

It's a male ant, there's no doubt about that. This definitely looks very much like a Camponotus pennsylvanicus alate, but the slightly lighter coloration may point to Camponotus chromaiodes.

It is difficult enough to identify males to genus-level. Males are very unstudied and not many keys are available for species-level, many times there is no way because of their reject in study, or they really are that similar looking.

#8 Offline BMM - Posted April 14 2017 - 9:22 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Camponotus makes sense. They could very well be either or both species. I caught two wingless queens within feet of where I found these guys. I'm fairly certain one of those queens is C. chromaiodes and the other is C. pennsylvanicus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users