• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New Founding Incubator

founding incubator heat queens

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 13 2017 - 12:44 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

This is a founding chamber I set up today (about 1 week after I caught my first two queens, and the same day I caught my third queen). The brown cable is a 15 W heating cable that is attached to the floor of this cardboard box with twist ties. A layer of packing tape partially protects the cardboard from the heat of the cable. The two black sensors at the top of the image are temperature probes, also tied down with twist ties. There are small rocks placed between each test tube setup to prevent rolling when nearby tubes are removed. My entire house is air conditioned, but I have closed the air vent in this room. The box does not have a top, however, the lights stay off in this room and the blinds are closed on the two windows. Some sunlight does get through, and a bit of that indirect light makes its way over the top of the box and into the tubes. I actually like this small amount of light though, because it allows me to view the setups (in dim light) without adding more light and disturbing the queens.

Pictured are the first three queens I ever caught. Two Solenopsis invicta queens with eggs, and a yet unidentified dealate, possibly Formica genus.

I am new to ant keeping, so critiques are helpful. Also, check out my ID post (April 13, 2017: Gainesville, FL) to help identify my third queen!

Founding Incubator

• thosaka likes this

#2 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted April 13 2017 - 12:47 PM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

hey youre in florida all that heating is nonsense

In my opinion 

#3 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 13 2017 - 12:54 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

My house stays between 70 and 74. I think a little extra heat could be helpful to get them started.

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 15 2017 - 5:49 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

hey youre in florida all that heating is nonsense

In my opinion

I agree. You might end up cooking your ants. 70-74 is good. I find that Gulf State people do not need cables unless they want a HUGE invicta colony. Seashore people maybe. I gets colder there in the mornings and stuff but not needed.

YJK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: founding, incubator, heat, queens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users