• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline scottc - Posted April 12 2017 - 5:19 PM

scottc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPayson, Utah

Species: Tetramorium?

Date: 4-12-17

Time: 6:00 PM

Temperature: 71F

Humidity: 0%

Wind: 0mph

Rain: 2 ays ago

the only reason i Tetramorium is because they are only ones i have seen out and about.. 

7cDeAoLcEAH7MhGQtvwLb

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted April 12 2017 - 5:33 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

This is definitely not Tetramorium, depending on the size (which you should list by the way) it's either a Myrmica sp. or another small Myrmicine like Temnothorax. I'm leaning towards Myrmica because of a guess of size of the container. Beautiful nonetheless.

Edited by LC3, April 12 2017 - 6:21 PM.

#3 Offline scottc - Posted April 12 2017 - 5:40 PM

scottc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPayson, Utah

sorry i thought i had lol it is ~6mm

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted April 12 2017 - 6:24 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

This is definitely a Myrmica sp., It's ridiculously hard to ID Myrmica species without the right equipment, however this one seems to have a very pronounced colour pattern, you can try researching some Myrmica spp. in your state and see if any of them match. I'd suggest Antweb and Antmaps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users