• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID REQUEST

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline quixtoic_quix - Posted April 13 2017 - 2:45 AM

quixtoic_quix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Found in Singapore, last night 12 April on a wall

roughly 1 cm
mostly black with hints of brown at the bottom
wings have not broken off and seems to be very inactive and has been stuck onto the cotton ever since i put it in about 3 hours ago, probably because the test tube is too slippery?

Could my queen be unfertilized? and if so am i able to put in a male and wait?

Any suggestions guys?

https://drive.google...R3MzbzByRnVxQUU

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 13 2017 - 3:17 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Definitely looks like Camponotus, but I can't tell you what species. Check out this site to see what Camponotus species live in your area, and check your ant with one of the listed species. If you can find some males from the same species, I guess it wouldn't hurt to plop 'em in too.

Edited by VoidElecent, April 13 2017 - 4:08 AM.

• Jonathan21700 and quixtoic_quix like this

#3 Offline Spamdy - Posted April 13 2017 - 11:53 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

If the cotton is wet it is natural for the queen to stay there and don't worry ants are more active at night. can't tell if your queen is fertilized or not but having wings is not an indicator btw. You could put a male though I doubt they will actually mate as many species mate in the air+ants usually don't mate in captivity. For what kind of and it would definitely be Camponotus. I hope your queen lays soon! ;)

Edited by Spamdy, April 15 2017 - 6:32 AM.

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users