• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wisconsin Anting Thread

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 12 2017 - 12:13 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Hey, guys, I noticed other places had their own threads so I wanted to make one for Wisconsin. I know there's a few keepers out there from Wisconsin. 

So, I found a ton of Prenolepis on April 9th. Next Saturday, it's supposed to be in the 70s. We can expect Prenolepis again on that day.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 12 2017 - 12:44 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

You could do yourself and your community an even bigger favor and start a Wisconsin Ant Keeping facebook page. Will start off slow, but you'll get people to join. Then you'll have locals that will help you get the species you want. My michigan ant keeping community isn't large, but it's active and full of helpful members. We do trades, sales, and even met up with some members to go anting.

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 12 2017 - 12:50 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

You could do yourself and your community an even bigger favor and start a Wisconsin Ant Keeping facebook page. Will start off slow, but you'll get people to join. Then you'll have locals that will help you get the species you want. My michigan ant keeping community isn't large, but it's active and full of helpful members. We do trades, sales, and even met up with some members to go anting.

I'm a bit young for FaceBook, according to my parents.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted May 16 2017 - 10:41 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I thought of this, but I'm just not a fan of facebook. Maybe some time in the future. :(
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline Heidispice - Posted August 4 2017 - 10:00 AM

Heidispice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

On Wisconsin!

Hi, I'm new to the forums and in northern Wisconsin. Actually I'm new to ants as well and don't even have a colony yet at all. But, I'll get there. :) 

Thanks T.C. for the encouragement!

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted April 18 2018 - 5:06 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

This why anting in Wisconsin sucks, the weather is so unpredictable. By this time last year I had already caught some queens. This is the weather here.

This is our deck. Up for a swim?

Edited by T.C., April 18 2018 - 5:11 PM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#7 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 18 2018 - 6:59 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

This why anting in Wisconsin sucks, the weather is so unpredictable. By this time last year I had already caught some queens. This is the weather here.

This is our deck. Up for a swim?

Don't ya just love it?

I'm kidding. It sucks. Last year we had a Prenolepis imparis flight on April 9th, and it doesn't look like it will even be warm enough for a flight until May.

#8 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 6 2020 - 4:10 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Time to bring this years old thread back to life... 

I forgot all about this thread. Anyway, now that we have a small group of us here in Wisconsin, it can actually be used.

I am headed to Spring Green again soon, going to investigate how the colonies are doing and when they might fly! I suspect Camponotus americanus and subbarbatus are flying in that area, and that other species like the Temnothorax texanus and Pheidole will have alates this month. 

At home, pennsylvanicus and novaeboracensis flights have been going on for a couple weeks now. I fear I missed the bulk of the Myrmentoma Camponotus flights, but perhaps I can find some uncommon species this month. I found a Monomorium minimum colony in the forest I typically go to, and I am excited for them to get alates. 

If anyone is interested in coming to one of the meets that some of us in the Midwest do, message me, and I will update you on information regarding these anting trips. For those of you who are interested in finding some sandy areas, I have been using the USDA Soil Survey to find sandy areas in the southern part of the state, and I intend to investigate them. If I find anything interesting, I will surely share it here. A sandy place closer to the Milwaukee area would definitely be favorable for those of us here who would rather not drive over 2 hours to Spring Green. 

As a closing note, if anyone has information on the Lasius interjectus flights in our area, such as if they are flying right now or not, please share. I am hoping to catch some queens of that species this month.

• CheetoLord02, Antennal_Scrobe and mannac like this

#9 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 15 2020 - 7:47 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

It's been cold for most of the state for the weekend, I think as it heats up tomorrow, there could be flights. I'm guessing L. interjectus will fly (although the lack of rain around me might be an issue) and/or some Camponotus

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#10 Offline mannac - Posted June 19 2020 - 8:28 PM

mannac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOz Cty, WI
I saw a bunch of C. pennsylvanicus female alates scattered on an old shed around 7:30pm tonight in Ozaukee cty. No dealates or males but I didn't stay out past that time.
  • AnthonyP163 likes this

#11 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 19 2020 - 8:44 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

I found a few pennsylvanicus tonight as well, but I went out late and it seems I missed the bulk of the flight.

Here, in Waukesha, the drought is supposed to end tomorrow. After the storms, on Sunday, it's going to be 80. Hopefully this recent rain and then a warm day will entice the Lasius interjectus into flying!

#12 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 21 2020 - 9:25 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Yesterday and part of this morning was rainy. I'm guessing anyone who got rain recently could get flights of Lasius interjectus and Camponotus tonight. L. interjectus should fly shortly after 5pm if the weather is favorable.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#13 Offline mannac - Posted June 23 2020 - 6:51 AM

mannac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOz Cty, WI
I found a dead female C. pennsylvanicus alate on my porch yesterday afternoon. I'm guessing she got flushed out in the rain or kicked out of the nest after not flying on Friday.

Any interjectus luck?

#14 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 23 2020 - 10:08 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

No interjectus luck at all! 

At this rate, it looks like they won't have another opportunity to fly until this weekend or next week. Camponotus flights are in full swing, though, and Temnothorax should begin any day now. I always find Temnothorax by blacklighting after dark.

Edited by AnthonyP163, June 23 2020 - 10:09 AM.

#15 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 17 2020 - 9:50 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

I found quite a few Formica pallidefulva queens today and too many Formica subsericea to catch. Solenopsis molesta and Temnothorax flights are now beginning as well.

#16 Offline mannac - Posted July 27 2020 - 9:25 AM

mannac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOz Cty, WI
I saw a late C. pennsylvanicus dealate running across a trail in High Cliff SP in Calumet county this weekend. I also saw the tiniest males I've ever seen on Sunday morning. Temnothorax maybe?

#17 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 27 2020 - 11:13 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Yeah, I had a male at my blacklight the other night of Temnothorax.

The Formica flights are beginning to wrap up, but subsericea tend to have their flights late. I bet they'll have their large flight within the next week. After the big rains we had last night, there's bound to be something flying here soon.

After the Formica, I'm just looking forward to Lasius flights. 

#18 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted August 9 2020 - 12:10 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Parasitic Lasius have alates here! I'll be looking every afternoon.

• Antkid12 likes this

#19 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted August 17 2020 - 11:55 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

S. molesta and B. depilis flew last Tuesday/Wednesday.

We are in a drought right now, I am confident that the next good rain here will bring a nice Lasius flight. I'm also really excited for Myrmica, let me know if anyone sees them flying or has any news about them.

#20 Offline mannac - Posted August 25 2020 - 6:00 AM

mannac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOz Cty, WI
Storming up by me all day today then hot and sunny tomorrow. Hoping Lasius (or something) flies tomorrow evening. I had 4 Lasius spp flying at once in my driveway last year!
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users