• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

05/03/2017, South Ruby Mountains, Elko CO. NV

ant id

Best Answer gcsnelling , May 3 2017 - 5:45 PM

Formica sp.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted May 3 2017 - 5:42 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

1. Location of collection (ie: park/area, city/town, state/province, country). 

Pinyon/juniper woodland fringe

2. Date of collection (more important for ID's of queens).

05/03/2017

3. Habitat of collection (ie: desert scrub, oak forest, riparian, etc.).

Artemisia arbuscula claypan with Poa secunda, Linanthus pungens, and Juniperus osteosperma/Pinus monophylla woodland in close proximity. General soil characteristics are carbonatic clay-loam, shallow to restrictive layer (claypan or lithic contact).

4. Length (to the nearest millimeter or 1/16th of an inch.) 

Roughly 8.7mm

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture (ie: dark redish-orange head, velvet-like gaster, translucent, hairy/bald, shiny/dull, etc.). Be as specific as possible, and you can use the diagram below if you need it.

Red head and thorax, with black area on posterior of thorax. Black gaster with apparent divisions/lines.

6. Distinguishing characteristics (ie: one petiole node/two petiole nodes, length and orientation of any spines or bumps on the thorax or waist, head shape, eye size, shape of mandibles, number of antennal segments, etc.)

One pointy petiole, Thorax covered with smooth bumps/dips. Head has 3 black dots between antennae. Pubescence seemingly lacking.

7. Anything else distinctive (ie: odor, behavior, characteristics relative to others in the colony, etc.).

Was moving quickly along the ground, far faster than any worker. Was about 2.5-3x the size of workers in the area.

8. Nest description 

Found wandering away from any visible nest. Surrounding workers appeared to be coming from simple holes underneath shrub cover.

grwbrGm.jpg

MEAOtdn.jpg

g6FNt5E.jpg

yMmTzbX.jpg

gJchgXN.jpg

MZQobdB.jpg

Edited by CallMeCraven, May 3 2017 - 5:43 PM.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 3 2017 - 5:45 PM   Best Answer

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Formica sp.

#3 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted May 3 2017 - 5:51 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Formica sp.

Do you think this is a social parasite or a typical thatch ant queen (if they are mutually exclusive)?

Edited by CallMeCraven, May 3 2017 - 5:51 PM.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 3 2017 - 5:54 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Thank you, so much, for posting a correctly-formatted, detailed ID thread. I've been going cray with all the other ones.

If I were to guess, I'd say this is a social parasite- just by its appearance. I don't know too much about it though, you'll have to do a little more research.

Once again, thank you taking the time to format this with care.

#5 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted May 3 2017 - 6:14 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Looking into Formica obscuipes more, it looks like they do indeed start as social parasites. A pretty big bummer as she is my first ant of the season (on the firsts day that has even reached above 70 degrees). I will keep her for a while to see what happens, but I will keep an eye out for more queens. We are expecting thunderstorms and 80 degree weather this weekend so I am hoping for a flight.

• Martialis likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users