• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Optimal temperature to keep ants at?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline soulsynapse - Posted April 6 2017 - 2:56 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

What do research papers say? I know that I read somewhere that RIFAs have optimal growth at 89f, what about camponotus? Or harvester, atta, etc

I'm keeping all the species listed in my signature @ exactly 87f, is this too high?

Edited by soulsynapse, April 6 2017 - 2:57 PM.

• Jelly likes this
Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 6 2017 - 3:21 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
The ambient temperature you described sounds a bit too high.

You should provide a range of temperatures so the ants may choose the most preferred option. In addition to an incubator, to keep ambient temperature stable, consider using a heating cable to provide local heat to a small area of a test tube or formicarium.

Heating cables: http://amzn.to/2niqZLT
  • soulsynapse likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted April 6 2017 - 3:39 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I try to keep my ants at 81. But, different species have different optimal temperatures. What drtmiller said is best; to have a gradient.
  • Ant Love likes this
~Dan

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 6 2017 - 3:57 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I just wonder what the maximum temperature is for temperate ants before they start overheating (though I could imagine this depends on the sp.). Maybe 80 or high 70's?

#5 Offline soulsynapse - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:11 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

tl;dr: as others have said, a gradient is best.

Effects of temperature on argentine ants:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3383432/

18c/64f is the lowest possible for argentine ants to make it to adulthood. It'll typically take 6 months and they'll have ~1.7% survival rate.

32c/89.6f is the highest where 0 eggs turn into larvae

Total developmental times of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, from egg to adult worker.

Effect of temperature on brood survival from egg to adult form in the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile.

Effect of temperature on the survival of each of the immature stages of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile.

Duration of the egg stage of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, at different temperatures.

Duration of the pupal stage of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, at different temperatures.

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#6 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:48 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well, I'm not sure about other ants. But, I lowered my Acromyrmex versicolor colony temperature from 78-80 to 73-75 and that pretty much "fixed" my colony. That was the temperature I was keeping the closet in that they are in (with the door closed of course). Before, the fungus was turning slightly brown, very little actual white and a lot of the fungus was dying off. I thought my colony was just going to die off. Now a few days later, the fungus is VERY white (almost bright to look at), has grown a TON (in just a short time period). Almost all the fungus has already grown back, it has grown that fast.

I know some people here kept their colonies at close to 80 or more, but even 78-80 was too hot for my colony of Acromyrmex. The ants liked it, since they grew REALLY fast in colony size, in a short time period (then slowed down again when the fungus died off a lot), but the fungus definitely did not like that temperature.

Edited by Vendayn, April 6 2017 - 5:48 PM.

#7 Offline Vanko - Posted April 7 2017 - 12:37 PM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPlovdiv, Bulgaria
23-26 is perfect for my ants
😛 🐜 😛

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 7 2017 - 12:38 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I try to keep my ants at 81. But, different species have different optimal temperatures. What drtmiller said is best; to have a gradient.

What species are you keeping at 81? How is is working for you?

#9 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted April 8 2017 - 6:26 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Hi Nathan,

Last year, I kept everything I've got in a 30 gallon incubator setup (http://www.formicult...e-new-colonies/).  I wanted everything to be at 27C, but in practice, it was more of a gradient from 25-27C (77-81F).   These are the species I kept:

S. molesta,

C. cerasi,

T. caespitum,

A. fulva,

L. neoniger,

L. nearcticus.

Some of the colonies have gotten quite large this way in under a year's time.  This method worked great for small colonies (a few hundred or so), but now many of the colonies need something better.

Edited by Works4TheGood, April 8 2017 - 6:43 PM.

~Dan

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users