• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Comparing Ants' DNA

dna ant genome closest relatives

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 4 2017 - 9:31 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Hello all, I have access to a program where I can compare the genomes of different genera and species. I am quite curious to compare the genomes of the native ants in the Northeast, however, I can't seem to find a common ancestor. If anyone can find the oldest relative of ants in America please let me know the genus and/or species and I will be able to find out which species/genera are the most closely related.

Thank you all for your help,

Bracchymyrmex

• thosaka likes this

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted April 4 2017 - 9:52 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Here you go!

Martialis

Also, what is this program called?

Edited by Martialis, April 4 2017 - 9:52 AM.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Subverted - Posted April 4 2017 - 10:17 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal
I think you are starting off from a flawed premise... First off - ants are a very very very old organism with most of the main subfamilies having existed since around the Eocene Epoch. Secondly, I do not believe that there is one single common ancestor of all ants in North America...you would want to work subfamily by subfamily (or even more narrowly).

You are probably looking for something like this page and its citations: http://www.antwiki.o...y_of_Formicidae

Phylogeny is an interesting subject but it is important to be careful not to trust the initial data until you have verified the results. I have heard that getting certain parameters set just so in your algorithms is really more art than science at times.
  • Batspiderfish likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#4 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 4 2017 - 5:54 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Here you go!

Martialis

Also, what is this program called?

It's called Seaview, you can download it for free.

I think you are starting off from a flawed premise... First off - ants are a very very very old organism with most of the main subfamilies having existed since around the Eocene Epoch. Secondly, I do not believe that there is one single common ancestor of all ants in North America...you would want to work subfamily by subfamily (or even more narrowly).

You are probably looking for something like this page and its citations: http://www.antwiki.o...y_of_Formicidae

Phylogeny is an interesting subject but it is important to be careful not to trust the initial data until you have verified the results. I have heard that getting certain parameters set just so in your algorithms is really more art than science at times.

Good point, perhaps I should focus on the relation between two or three species as a opposed to the whole range.

#5 Offline Subverted - Posted April 4 2017 - 6:37 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Good point, perhaps I should focus on the relation between two or three species as a opposed to the whole range.

That sounds like a perfect starter project...maybe eventually you can try doing a whole genus!

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 5 2017 - 6:13 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

That sounds like a perfect starter project...maybe eventually you can try doing a whole genus!
Yeah good idea. Good luck Brac.

YJK

#7 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted April 6 2017 - 3:24 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I'm not familiar with your program, but we had to use MEGA a fair bit on a slew of taxonomy and microbiology projects in college. From looking up Seaview, it seems like it should be roughly equivalent.

Personally, unless data entry/acquisition is a problem somehow (it shouldn't be?), I'd go big and add at least a dozen or two taxa, not just two or three. Let your computer crunch numbers overnight, if that's what it takes. You may be surprised (or maybe not, if you think about it) with how accurate the results seem to be. Just curious, is this a class project, or of personal interest?

#8 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 6 2017 - 4:44 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

MEGA looks much better than Seaview, which is buggy and obsolete. I'll give it a shot and compare the two.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Bracchymyrmex, April 6 2017 - 4:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users