• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What species is this?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FishFeet - Posted April 5 2017 - 1:19 PM

FishFeet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So I want to start ant keeping and i found a nest in my front yard but i don't know what species it is. I live in the midwest in the US. The ants are a shiny black and the workers are 5 mm long. They don't seem to have variations in size. I have not seen the queen yet. The workers seem to have a yellowish stripe on their back. they don't travel very fast and i don't know if this helps, but they like honey. :)

Edited by FishFeet, April 5 2017 - 1:19 PM.

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted April 5 2017 - 1:38 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

We're unable to determine species without pictures.

• T.C. likes this
Spoiler

#3 Offline Jelly - Posted April 5 2017 - 1:44 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Sounds like a 6-legged ant species to me. Do they have 2 antenna?

• Martialis and T.C. like this

#4 Offline FishFeet - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:21 AM

FishFeet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Here is a picture. 

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:28 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

L.neoniger?

#6 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 6 2017 - 5:50 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Try to collect some workers in a test tube, pop em in the freezer for 5-10 minutes and then take pictures of them. The cold will slow them down so you can have time to take good quality pictures. Don't keep them in the freezer for longer though, they will have a harder recovery.

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 6 2017 - 6:48 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Don't put ants in the freezer unless you intend to kill them. The fridge will basically do the same thing without putting the ants at risk. I would check the measurements, but these look like Prenolepis imparis.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 6 2017 - 6:48 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Cindy - Posted April 6 2017 - 7:04 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Dat gaster tho. Need a better pic to make sure it's P. Imparis, which you do have in your state.

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 6 2017 - 7:11 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

With how shiny they are, there aren't too many other options. They're not Formica or Lasius, so the only other possibility would be Nylanderia, but the overestimate in size and time of year more closely fit my first guess. I think we would be able to see more hairs if they were Nylanderia.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 6 2017 - 7:12 AM.

• Cindy likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#10 Offline FishFeet - Posted April 6 2017 - 10:20 AM

FishFeet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

are there other prenelopes species that hibernate in the winter, not summer?

#11 Offline Cindy - Posted April 6 2017 - 10:27 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

are there other prenelopes species that hibernate in the winter, not summer?

Possibly, but the only one that is found in North America will hibernate in the summer 

#12 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 6 2017 - 10:47 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
I would say Prenolepis imparis.

#13 Offline FishFeet - Posted April 6 2017 - 10:48 AM

FishFeet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

This is a good image

Edited by FishFeet, April 6 2017 - 10:48 AM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#14 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 6 2017 - 10:49 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
I would say Prenolepis imparis.
  • Jonathan21700 likes this

#15 Offline FishFeet - Posted April 6 2017 - 10:52 AM

FishFeet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

ok, thank you for all the help. Will they have nuptial flight at the same time as other species?

#16 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 6 2017 - 11:01 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

ok, thank you for all the help. Will they have nuptial flight at the same time as other species?

They are having their flights now. They are usually the first species to fly in the year.
  • Cindy likes this

#17 Offline Cindy - Posted April 6 2017 - 11:04 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

They will be having nuptial flights very soon and much earlier than other species, usually when the weather reaches 70 F for the first time. In Massachusetts, there was a picture of a dealate queen on March 12, 2012, the first day we had 70 degree weather that year. 

Edit: Picture here. It will give you a good idea of what the queen should look like.

Edited by Cindy, April 6 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#18 Offline FishFeet - Posted April 6 2017 - 1:03 PM

FishFeet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

thank you for everything. I will be searching. 

• Nathant2131 likes this

#19 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted April 6 2017 - 1:08 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

What you're really looking for, if you want to get into anting, is a fertile queen.  I would not advise trying to collect a colony that's already established outside, because you will more than likely destroy much of the colony and you won't find the queen in the end.  Instead, you'll want to wait for nuptial flights where you can catch the queens on the ground or in the air.

• Nathant2131 likes this
~Dan

#20 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 6 2017 - 1:11 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

What you're really looking for, if you want to get into anting, is a fertile queen.  I would not advise trying to collect a colony that's already established outside, because you will more than likely destroy much of the colony and you won't find the queen in the end.  Instead, you'll want to wait for nuptial flights where you can catch the queens on the ground or in the air.

Agreed. It's a lot more ecologically harmful and way more difficult. Catch newly mated queens.

• Martialis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users