• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to Photograph and ID Specimens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted March 24 2017 - 2:37 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
This is not about queen ID, but rather close visualization of workers. Would like to ID some colonies close to my house just to practice IDing and to learn more about my local species. I am wondering if there is a method to kill or immobilize workers long enough to look at their anatomy to ID species. I have tried freezing them, but the ants typically ball up afterwards, which makes the process more difficult.
Also, what do you guys use to visualize soecimens? A dissecting scope? A magnifying glass? A regular microscope on a low power objective?
Any help would be appreciated! (:

#2 Offline Jelly - Posted March 24 2017 - 2:41 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You can try a sealed jar with a few drops of ethyl acetate (nail polish remover) on a piece of paper or a cotton ball

• T.C. likes this

#3 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 24 2017 - 10:36 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Drew would be the perfect person to ask about this, he seems to be really good and quick at it.. *not saying drew is the only one, just saying he seems to be on top of it*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users