• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I need a last minute sanity check

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted March 22 2017 - 12:42 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

So, I have three Camponotus pennsylvanicus colonies.
C2 has one nanitic and seven eggs.
C3 has one nanitic and ~15 eggs.
C4 has 14 nanitics/minors, ~25 pupae/huge larvae, and 40+ eggs with more appearing every day.

God, that looks like the start of an algebra problem.

Anyway, while I'm pleasantly surprised with the amount of eggs 2 and 3 have laid since coming out of hibernation, I'm still concerned about those nanitics. They should be fairly old, and I haven't been very impressed by their ability to forage, bring back sugar water, or really do anything important. It concerned me enough I removed their access to their outworlds a week or two ago. C4 seems to be doing great, but I confess I'm a little nervous about caring for a large colony, and their growth seems to be going exponential.

So, I'm thinking I will take 4-6 pupae from C4 and split evenly them between C2 and C3. Nothing major, but I think the queens will really benefit from a helping hand with the next generation. If I understand brood boosting correctly, taking the pupae, letting them "air out" in a moist environment for about a day, and then introducing them to C2/C3 should be about as safe as I can get, yes? Any thing extra I should worry about? Both the eggs and pupae should all be hatching/eclosing within a few days of each other.

Edited by Antsinmycloset, March 22 2017 - 1:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users