• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

recommendations for semi claustral queen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Leo - Posted March 19 2017 - 7:44 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

i caught a new queen foraging probably pachycondyla of some sort any suggestions of a setup for her?

#2 Offline Californian Anter - Posted March 19 2017 - 8:00 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Test tube in an outworld with substrate. Put red cellophane on the tube to make it seem dark for ants. Then feed small prey items to the queen.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#3 Offline Leo - Posted March 19 2017 - 8:28 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

(y)

#4 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted March 19 2017 - 9:27 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I had issues with using too large of an outworld (I think?). My queens rarely found anything I gave them, struggled hunting prey, and spent tons of time huddled next to their test tube instead of inside it. I ended up dividing some 20 mm x 150mm test tubes into two sections, using a short piece of airline tube wrapped in cotton as the divider. The back section is wrapped in foil, to block out the light, and obviously way more humid. The queens quickly adapted, foraging and bringing food back for storage.

It's far from ideal, but I'd recommend it if you have trouble. It's also nice and compact for diapause, though your colony will hopefully be too large to attempt this come fall.

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 20 2017 - 2:24 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Tupperware container, and fruit flies make a great combo for my Myrmica sp colony.

YJK

#6 Offline Leo - Posted March 20 2017 - 3:29 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

no flies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users