• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nance's Pogonomyrmex Barbatus Journal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted October 27 2017 - 4:48 AM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

11252-ms-barbatusPicked up a Pogonomyrmex Barbatus queen about 6 weeks ago with 5 workers and a clutch of eggs and larvae locally from someone here in Fort Worth...  

I will keep the original post updated as long as I have them to hopefully help others with what works for me with this colony...

Housing Temp: 80-85

Hibernation:  Suggested here on this site to keep Pogonomyrmex at room temp during winter.  Trying that for this species during their first winter.

Foods Taken:
Sunburst Ant Nectar
Omega One Flake Fish Food
Organic Sunflower Seeds, Non-Salted
Fluker's Crickets

Freeze dried bloodworms

Fruit flies

Foods Rejected:
Organic Poppy Seeds
Organic Honey

11252-ms-barbatus

Edited by NanceUSMC, October 27 2017 - 5:24 AM.

#2 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted October 27 2017 - 4:52 AM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

A few pics of mom and the kids

#3 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted October 27 2017 - 4:56 AM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

I was inspired by Drew's formicaria designs and wanted to try to make a small nest/outworld of my own...  First attempt and it turned out just ok...  Made from hard plastic containers, grout, vinyl tubing, rubber grommets and fine steel mesh...  The girls have trouble climbing the sides, and show little ambition to do so...  Not sure a barrier is needed, but will use one anyway if I ever go topless for the outworld...

The Barbatus' family is still refusing to move out of the tube even after a few weeks...  I now have an AC Hybrid nest that I'm going to try to force them into soon...

The first brave explorer into the new lands

Edited by NanceUSMC, October 27 2017 - 5:00 AM.

#4 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted October 27 2017 - 5:02 AM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

Just a couple videos of the ladies refusing to move in lol  (please forgive the aquarium noise in the background)

Tending the babies

#5 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted October 27 2017 - 5:08 AM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

On 10/7/17, after having the colony for about a month, I had my first worker hatch...  Couple days later another two hatched...  Colony is up to 8 total workers now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users