• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sleepy Crematogaster cerasi

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 15 2017 - 5:08 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some advice.  I have a colony of Crematogaster cerasi that I woke from hibernation 3 days ago.  I put them into hibernation in late November, and so they've been in hibernation for almost 4 months now.  However, they're behaving strangely compared to last year.  They hardly do anything at all anymore, and they're still bundled into a big ball for the most part just like they were in hibernation.  The temperature is the same as before, 27C, but they seem to have no appetite, and no care to explore.  Meanwhile, a colony of Tetramorium caespitum that I woke around the same time is doing great!  So I just don't understand what's going on with my lil acrobats.  I'm purplexed.  Do they just take a while to get running again after being pulled from hibernation?  Did I pull them too quickly and not give them enough acclimation time?  I just don't know.

http://www.formicult...0170315-212347/

Edited by Works4TheGood, March 15 2017 - 6:13 PM.

~Dan

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 15 2017 - 5:59 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Hmmmm... Maybe they are still acclimating, or they already have enough reserves. Just let em do their thing.

YJK

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 15 2017 - 6:09 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

look at Crystal's journal. She had the crematogaster dog pile too

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 16 2017 - 4:10 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

That was almost a year ago!  Wow, you must have an impressive memory!

For everyone else watching, here's the link that he's referring to: http://www.formicult...-journal/page-3.  Search for "dog" (4+ hits).

It doesn't look like like there was a solution per se'.  I get the indication that the problem vanished on its own, or perhaps when she tapped the tube.  Mine are all still clumped together at the moment.

~Dan

#5 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 16 2017 - 5:31 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

So when you folks wake a colony from hibernation, do you do so gradually?  I just threw my acrobats into my incubator setup (regular summertime heat temperatures [27C]).

~Dan

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted March 16 2017 - 10:37 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationGermany

Ants produce Glycerol as an antifreeze and they can't remove it all in a day. Some ants can do that rather quickly, others don't. I'm pretty sure they just need more time. Also if they have still reserves there is no reason for them to got out shortly after hibernation (in spring, when there might not be much food around), it's risky and potentially unrewarding.

• drtrmiller and Works4TheGood like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 16 2017 - 2:27 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

That was almost a year ago!  Wow, you must have an impressive memory!

For everyone else watching, here's the link that he's referring to: http://www.formicult...-journal/page-3.  Search for "dog" (4+ hits).

It doesn't look like like there was a solution per se'.  I get the indication that the problem vanished on its own, or perhaps when she tapped the tube.  Mine are all still clumped together at the moment.
She posted that before I started watching Formiculture. I just tend to search up journals of founding queens I have to get an idea of what formicaria I want for that so, what needs they have, etc
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users