• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What Is The Largest Colony You Have Ever Owned?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 9 2017 - 4:42 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

What is the largest colony you have ever owned? The largest wild-caught colony I have ever owned belonged to the species Monomorium emarginatum and housed 26 queens (which layed approx. 500-550 eggs a week) and approx. 13,000 workers. The largest captive-colony I have ever owned belonged to the species Tetramorium sp.e and currently houses 1 queen and approx. 230 workers. The colony is only half a year old (It was not brood boosted).

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 9 2017 - 6:17 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

My P. pallidula with 200-250 workers and 100 eggs every day.

• ctantkeeper likes this

YJK

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 9 2017 - 9:01 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

My 40 worker Tetramorium which will be about double in size in the next few weeks, as there's 25 pupae and about 25 larvae too.

• ctantkeeper likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 9 2017 - 9:11 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

My Solenopsis invicta colony, which had about 100,000 workers. It was my first actual ant colony as well, that wasn't Argentine ants.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#5 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted March 13 2017 - 8:00 AM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

currently my largest is a rare Camponotus Near. colony with ~200-300 workers. however that number is about to double as all the hibernated eggs are currently larvae.

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#6 Offline Roachant - Posted March 13 2017 - 11:54 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
It's my tetramorium colony with about 200 workers and tons of brood. I have no doubt it will hit 1000 this year.

#7 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 13 2017 - 6:40 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

It's my tetramorium colony with about 200 workers and tons of brood. I have no doubt it will hit 1000 this year.

OMG, one of mine is at 210-230 right now!!! I've only had it since earlier this year, but through pleometrophic founding, I was able to get the the colony to grow incredibly fast without the need to brood boost and without any foreseeable consequences. I think this is how I will raise my Tetramorium sp.e colonies from this point on (if and whenever possible). If executed correctly, pleometrophic founding seems to be the way to go...at least in my case anyway.

P.S. just realized that this is one of my previous topics and that I have already mentioned this Tetramorium colony lol. I will leave this up anyway though.

Edited by ctantkeeper, March 13 2017 - 6:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users