• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formicarium: request for advice & pointers (small ant species)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted March 10 2017 - 6:55 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Hello all, I am reaching out to anyone who has built formicaria with hyrdrostone, grout or similar materials. THA (Tarheel Ants) offer state of the art formicaria for small ant species like this:

Formicarium

I am intrigued by the concept of building my own formicarium but I had a few questions that I hope anyone who has practice building a formicaria can answer. 

(I) How do you mold the hydrostone/grout/whathaveyou to have "tunnels" or "chambers?

(II) How do you cut acrylic to fit over your formicarium with proper dimensions and how do you securely attach it?

(III) If anyone has built formicaria for extremely small species (Brachymyrmex Depilis sized) how big should the formicarium be?

(IV) Hydration. Where do you make a reservoir for hydration or do you simply need a place to insert a syringe?

(V) Can you move species like Brachymyrmex into a formicarium intended for colonies of 100-300 workers straight from a crowded test tube (which may contain 50+ workers)?

Thank you anyone who is willing to help out.

Edited by Bracchymyrmex, March 10 2017 - 6:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users