• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pesticides in honey?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted October 20 2017 - 4:08 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Has anyone ever had their ants die off due to residual pesticides within the honey that they feed them?

My grandparents had 50 bee hives several years back, and they lost a lot of hives to colony collapse disorder, and it's suspected that pesticides play a role (among other things) with this issue. I just wondered how it affected ants.

Edit: I meant the pesticides that collect in the pollen from plants sprayed with them, just to clear up any potential confusion.

Edited by Jamiesname, October 20 2017 - 5:43 PM.

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 20 2017 - 4:39 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I mean... no. That is all the input I can give, never heard of anyone having problems.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, October 20 2017 - 4:40 PM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 20 2017 - 5:22 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I have lost several colonies that I fed honey

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 21 2017 - 12:54 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I have lost several colonies that I fed honey

What!? Seriously!

As far as I've seen nearly everyone uses honey and I've never heard of any problems. 

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#5 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 21 2017 - 3:50 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

That actually happened with my old (and I mean way back old) hawaiian Brachymyrmex obscurior and Solenopsis geminata colonies. They drank a bit of grade b (unlike the usual grade a honey) honey and they just dropped dead. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with pesticides.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#6 Offline lpst - Posted October 21 2017 - 4:41 PM

lpst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I did some food tests with an ant colony near my house because I would like to catch a queen from them this next year and I found that some of the store bought honey brands kill them but the organic stuff and the honey from our bees do not kill them. Now I'm a total noob an know absolutely nothing about ants so that's all the info I have on the subject.
Present colonies: Solenopsis Xyloni
Past colonies: Camponotus Vicinus, Solenopsis Xyloni, Brachymyrmex

#7 Offline Jamiesname - Posted October 21 2017 - 6:16 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Thanks for the info. I've been feeding mine honey on occasion, but then remembered a documentary on colony collapse disorder and what happened with my grandparents' hives. Honey bee's are a little bigger than most ants, so it would stand to reason that even less (affected) honey would do a greater amount of damage to a colony of ants. If I remember correctly, it takes a while for the level of toxicity to build up in the stored honey, so that is a variable to consider as well.

As far as organic honey goes, I never understood how that is possible. Nearly every corn seed available to buy is a GMO. You can choose to buy organic corn if/when you can find it, but what about in your neighbors garden? Or the person a mile up the road? What about the large scale corn producers in the area? I don't imagine that organic honey exists anymore, unless you raise your bee's inside of some sort of enclosed biodome. Trust me, I'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong on that, so please feel free.

Back to ants here - I think I'm only going to use honey on occasion, and it'll be watered down. This issue has hit too close to home for me, and it's an unnecessary risk.

Edited by Jamiesname, October 21 2017 - 6:18 PM.

#8 Offline lpst - Posted October 21 2017 - 6:35 PM

lpst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Thanks for the info. I've been feeding mine honey on occasion, but then remembered a documentary on colony collapse disorder and what happened with my grandparents' hives. Honey bee's are a little bigger than most ants, so it would stand to reason that even less (affected) honey would do a greater amount of damage to a colony of ants. If I remember correctly, it takes a while for the level of toxicity to build up in the stored honey, so that is a variable to consider as well.
As far as organic honey goes, I never understood how that is possible. Nearly every corn seed available to buy is a GMO. You can choose to buy organic corn if/when you can find it, but what about in your neighbors garden? Or the person a mile up the road? What about the large scale corn producers in the area? I don't imagine that organic honey exists anymore, unless you raise your bee's inside of some sort of enclosed biodome. Trust me, I'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong on that, so please feel free.
Back to ants here - I think I'm only going to use honey on occasion, and it'll be watered down. This issue has hit too close to home for me, and it's an unnecessary risk.

this true no matter how controlled your hives are, bees forage 2-3miles at times so there is no way to be truly 100% organic. Our next step is actually building large yurts to put our bees in so we can control they type of honey and be 100% organic

Edited by lpst, October 21 2017 - 6:35 PM.

Present colonies: Solenopsis Xyloni
Past colonies: Camponotus Vicinus, Solenopsis Xyloni, Brachymyrmex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users