• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Encouragement for Newbies with Slow Developing Colonies

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted February 17 2017 - 5:16 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

I felt the need to share an important aspect of my ant-keeping experience with those who are new to ant keeping.  More particularly, the facet of colony growth.   I just want to encourage new ant keepers that when you don't see a colony developing like you think it should, you need to remember that some individual queens seem to be better built for a life in captivity than others, even within a species.  For time reasons, I try to care for all of my colonies in the same way.  But even when I have 10 queens of a single species, ultimately 1 or 2 will do just phenomenal, and 1 or 2 will do quite poorly by comparison.  Now, it's possible that there's something I could change to cater to the ones that are doing poorly, but that's not the point of this message.  The point of this message is to highlight that if you captured only one queen of a particular species and it's not doing well, then you don't know if it's a problem with your care, or it's a problem with the queen.  So, when there's a nuptial flight, try to get your hands on 10 or so queens so that you can compare them.  Good luck!

• dermy, Kevin, Martialis and 5 others like this
~Dan

#2 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 17 2017 - 11:24 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

Your absolutely right, I currently have 3 Anonychomyrma sp and one has pulled her wings and almost has her first nanitics, the second still has wings and a single egg, and the third has nothing at all.

Anonychomyrma Sp And brood
I moved this girl and her brood into my "Gecko" mini formicarium about a week ago and she is still going strong.

• Martialis and Shareallicu like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users