• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium Queens

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BMM - Posted February 21 2017 - 6:32 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

So today I made a rather interesting find. There's a Tetramorium sp.E colony that's lived in my backyard for years and today I noticed a bunch of workers about 25 feet away from the main nest. They were congregating around a relatively small rock, so I got curious and flipped it. I was a bit surprised to see several thousand ants, huge piles of brood, and about half a dozen wingless queens. My anting instincts kicked in and I scooped up three queens before they began to panic. 

In retrospect, I'm a bit confused though. Why were there so many queens under that rock? My understanding is that Tetramorium will only tolerate multiple queens during the founding stages.  :thinking:

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline superjman - Posted February 21 2017 - 6:35 PM

superjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Lol do you want to get rid of any of those queens? I'll happily come pick up one hahaha!

But for real that is strange. I thought Tetremorium sp. E was single queen only too.

Edited by superjman, February 21 2017 - 6:42 PM.

superjmansbugblog.tumblr.com

I love every living thing from 0 - 400 legs! (Except for 247. That's just weird.)

#3 Offline BMM - Posted February 21 2017 - 6:46 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I'm actually planning to put them back tomorrow. I really only grabbed them out of excitement. My understanding is that the queens won't do well on their own and I really don't want to disturb the colony further to grab workers and brood. 

#4 Offline superjman - Posted February 21 2017 - 6:47 PM

superjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Yea I've heard that too. I'm really curious though about that colony and why it had so many queens. Did you grab any pictures of the colony itself?

I love every living thing from 0 - 400 legs! (Except for 247. That's just weird.)

#5 Offline BMM - Posted February 21 2017 - 6:54 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

No, I didn't get any pictures of the colony. It wasn't anything special save for the multiple queens. There were some tunnels into the dirt that the queens fled into, so it's quite possible that there's more queens below. The main colony lives under a much larger rock, so I can only imagine what that would look like.

#6 Offline superjman - Posted February 21 2017 - 7:01 PM

superjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Yea. that's wild man. Hey this summer do you want to go anting at one one of the state parks near St Louis? I've been thinking about trying to put together an expedition to Babler, Weldon Spring, or Howell Island (all near chesterfield in the same area).

#7 Offline BMM - Posted February 21 2017 - 7:14 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Yeah, I might be up for that.

#8 Offline superjman - Posted February 21 2017 - 7:19 PM

superjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Cool cool. I'll probably wait till a little further into the summer when something else is flying besides P. Imparis (since I don't even know when they will finally start flying here  :dash:) or maybe even after a couple known nuptial flights to look for queens that have dug their little holes.

#9 Offline Martialis - Posted February 21 2017 - 7:20 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Tetramorium can be polygyne and monogyne,

Edited by Martialis, February 21 2017 - 7:21 PM.

Spoiler

#10 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 21 2017 - 7:33 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Tetramorium can be polygyne and monogyne,

Yes.

YJK

#11 Offline Miles - Posted February 21 2017 - 7:50 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

You absolutely need to get more of the colony or those queens will die.

Edited by Miles, February 21 2017 - 7:50 PM.

• Martialis likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#12 Offline BMM - Posted February 21 2017 - 8:01 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Tetramorium can be polygyne and monogyne,

Obviously there must be some truth to this based on what I found, but I'm curious about how common this actually is. I read quite a bit about them when I first got into ant keeping and people almost universally describe them as monogynous, accepting pleometrosis at best. 

You absolutely need to get more of the colony or those queens will die.

I'm aware. I'm going to return them tomorrow. I'd prefer to raise a colony from the start rather than capture an existing colony.

#13 Offline BMM - Posted February 22 2017 - 5:37 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

So the queens happily scurried back under the rock. I tried to leave it at that, but curiosity got the better of me and I ended up flipping a couple more nearby rocks. Once again, tons of ants, brood, and multiple queens. One had two queens under it and the other had three. Apparently I've got something of a Tetramorium goldmine in my backyard.  :D

It's going to be hard to resist scooping some up to get my first colony going.

#14 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 23 2017 - 5:42 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

So the queens happily scurried back under the rock. I tried to leave it at that, but curiosity got the better of me and I ended up flipping a couple more nearby rocks. Once again, tons of ants, brood, and multiple queens. One had two queens under it and the other had three. Apparently I've got something of a Tetramorium goldmine in my backyard.  :D

It's going to be hard to resist scooping some up to get my first colony going.

Just do it, They have multiple queens so losing like 3 won't hurt them.

YJK

#15 Offline BMM - Posted February 23 2017 - 6:28 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

So I think I've confirmed that these are not Tetramorium caespitum/sp.E. After a bit of reading I discovered that St. Louis is home to an invasive Tetramorium species: Tetramorium tsushimae, the Japanese Pavement Ant. They're very similar to caespitum/sp.E, but are polygynous. Since Dr. Trager is from the area, I contacted him and he seemed to agree that these could be tsushimae. He suggested checking their size to confirm. I measured some workers and at 2.6-2.8 mm they're in line with tsushimae's size.

This is an interesting turn of events, as I'm not sure that anyone's raised this species in captivity before, or at least not knowingly. I think my goal for this year is going to be start a polygynous colony and see how they do. If they're as hardy as other Pavement Ants but with the benefit of being polygynous, then I think I've found an ideal beginner ant.

Edited by BMM, February 23 2017 - 10:31 PM.

• LC3 likes this

#16 Offline superjman - Posted February 23 2017 - 8:29 PM

superjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMissouri

That's awesome! Make sure you keep an eye out for nuptial flights!

#17 Offline Roachant - Posted February 24 2017 - 2:59 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
From my experience, they tolerate multiple queens only for a short period before one ends up becoming the dominant one.
I tried having multiple queens and the workers killed one after the colony grew to a certain size, about 50 workers or so. I even filmed it and put it on YouTube .
  • sgheaton likes this

#18 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted February 24 2017 - 8:08 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Yes.

Wait up a moment. Tetramorium sp.e does not exhibit polygyne behavior, instead it is pleometrophic as well as monogyne. Pleometrophic founding occurs when two or more queens of the same species join together after mating in order to found a colony together. this allows the colony to have a much greater chance of survival and to produce a greater number of workers during the colonies infancy. After the founding period is over however, queens are singled out and killed until one, healthy queen remains. Although having a colony with several queens is quite beneficial, queens require more nourishment than workers do, which may put excess strain on the colony and its ability to find enough food to support themselves. By killing all but one of the queens, pleometrophic colonies gain more brood and a greater workforce early on, but without risking starvation. 

Edited by ctantkeeper, February 24 2017 - 8:09 AM.

#19 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted February 24 2017 - 8:12 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Yes.

Wait up a moment. Tetramorium sp.e does not exhibit polygyne behavior, instead it is pleometrophic as well as monogyne. Pleometrophic founding occurs when two or more queens of the same species join together after mating in order to found a colony together. this allows the colony to have a much greater chance of survival and to produce a greater number of workers during the colonies infancy. After the founding period is over however, queens are singled out and killed until one, healthy queen remains. Although having a colony with several queens is quite beneficial, queens require more nourishment than workers do, which may put excess strain on the colony and its ability to find enough food to support themselves. By killing all but one of the queens, pleometrophic colonies gain more brood and a greater workforce early on, but without risking starvation. 

Pleometrophic founding IS POSSIBLE and can lead to some very impressive results when executed currectly, however most people are not aware of the existence of this kind of behavior or how to best orchestrate rearing a colony in this way. Maybe someday, I will share what I have learned if enough people are interested, but if you would like to hear more on this topic, you can PM me.

#20 Offline Roachant - Posted February 24 2017 - 9:21 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
Ctantkeeper, what you described sounds exactly like what happened in my colony! I noticed before the brood was mixed that one queen had far more brood than the other. I would surmise that she was the one was left due to a larger supporting workforce, but since I never marked the queens, I'm not entirely sure. Was very interesting to witness and I suggest if you try it out, mark the queens first and observe and find out why one teen is chosen over the other. I may try again this year as I get dozens of tetramorium queens every year.
  • ctantkeeper likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users