• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New website about ants

website antdiary

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Eviar - Posted February 10 2017 - 7:37 PM

Eviar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I work from 4 months on web application for ants keepers. I focused mainly on ant keeping journals that provide a lot of data and fill in some content on website.
The application is in a very early beta and functionality are very limited (graphics, too), but the basics are already done and that is why I decided to share it, to get from you some valuable feedback.

Most options are available after logging in.
For now is available a limited number of species because the first deployment took 10 hours (as soon as I got back from work) and I did not have the strength to add more.

I will be very grateful for any added journal. Journal entries can be added with a past date.

In the future, I want to add:
- Encyclopedia with a lot of information about the world of ants
- Assistant keeper, that will inform about the different types of things, eg. That it will soon have to prepare a wintering colonies
- Very extensive statistics and graphs comparing their own colony with those of other users or showing whether the colony is growing properly
- Many guides, especially for those beginners

I look forward to constructive criticism and tips. You can do it also on the website (contact page).

Edited by Eviar, February 10 2017 - 7:40 PM.

• jsCoder likes this

I invite you to my website about ants: https://www.antdiary.net

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted February 10 2017 - 10:39 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

To be honest, i don't even know what it is? I know you said you are still working on it and it's in it's early stages but there is nothing there. The Banner is cool however I can't give an opinion on anything else because there is nothing else. I mean the banner is it... that and an Ad asking me if I have ever been arrested? :lol:  More detail would be helpful. :) 

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Eviar - Posted February 11 2017 - 5:08 AM

Eviar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

If someone add journal then you start getting more pages of content. :) Please be patient.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 11 2017 - 6:26 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Nice idea. Hope it is successful!

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted February 11 2017 - 9:48 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

If someone add journal then you start getting more pages of content. :) Please be patient.

I would be more than happy to add journal or two for you to help grow it. I just am confused as to what you are trying to accomplish?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline Eviar - Posted February 11 2017 - 11:05 AM

Eviar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I would be more than happy to add journal or two for you to help grow it. I just am confused as to what you are trying to accomplish?

Ok, I try to tell more details.

I would like to create a comprehensive web service for ant keepers.
Journals that are created on forums are too chaotic to me, do not allow the collection of any data from the course of keeping, or easily journal search for a specific species.
I want that my application after some time knew what species is difficult in keeping, which is growing fast e.t.c. So eg. you will be able to do rankings where everyone will be able to easily select the species which they current needs.
After that, many journals that were well written and you could have a lot to learn from them were forgotten in the mists of time. On my website you can give a point for each entry in journal so that the most valuable were easy to find (even after years) and read.

Personally, I think that in the journals contained a vast amount of knowledge that adequately shown would give great value to the community of ant keepers.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#7 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 11 2017 - 11:13 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I'll sign up and start a journal! Nice idea, I really like the formatting.

• superjman and Eviar like this

#8 Offline Eviar - Posted February 11 2017 - 1:27 PM

Eviar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I'll sign up and start a journal! Nice idea, I really like the formatting.

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

• Nathant2131 likes this

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 12 2017 - 8:27 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Suggestion: Allow the species to be editable even after starting the journal. I have a bunch of unidentified Lasius queens and they could be a variety of species. I don't want to select the wrong species and not be able to edit that.

Edited by Nathant2131, February 12 2017 - 8:36 AM.

• Eviar likes this

#10 Offline Eviar - Posted February 12 2017 - 9:25 AM

Eviar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Suggestion: Allow the species to be editable even after starting the journal. I have a bunch of unidentified Lasius queens and they could be a variety of species. I don't want to select the wrong species and not be able to edit that.

Maybe allow change to different species in selected genus?

I do not want to allow a change Lasius niger to Camponotus herculeanus or something like that.

What do you think?

• Nathant2131 likes this

#11 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 12 2017 - 9:51 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I do not want to allow a change Lasius niger to Camponotus herculeanus or something like that.

What do you think?

Good idea. I'd be down for that.

#12 Offline jsCoder - Posted February 12 2017 - 10:26 AM

jsCoder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Nice! What language programing you used (library, frameworkes)? it is for the interest of :)  

#13 Offline Eviar - Posted February 12 2017 - 12:26 PM

Eviar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Nice! What language programing you used (library, frameworkes)? it is for the interest of :)

.net core 1.1 and deploy on azure :)

What do you think?

You can now edit species after starting the journal. :)

#14 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 12 2017 - 1:19 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

.net core 1.1 and deploy on azure :)

What do you think?

You can now edit species after starting the journal. :)

Cool! Thanks for taking my suggestion into consideration.

#15 Offline Serafine - Posted February 12 2017 - 3:20 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well sometimes people are even wrong with the genus, especially when they're inexperienced. Ask Mikey Bustos who once accidentally "identified" a canadian Tetramorium queen as a Pheidole queen (they do in fact looks very similar).

Maybe give the (sub)species it's own tag (editable by the user) and make genus changes require a mod/admin request?

Edited by Serafine, February 12 2017 - 3:20 PM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#16 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 12 2017 - 3:27 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Well sometimes people are even wrong with the genus, especially when they're inexperienced. Ask Mikey Bustos who once accidentally "identified" a canadian Tetramorium queen as a Pheidole queen (they do in fact looks very similar).

Maybe give the (sub)species it's own tag (editable by the user) and make genus changes require a mod/admin request?

I agree.

#17 Offline Eviar - Posted February 12 2017 - 5:07 PM

Eviar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I have on "To do" list features for mods but for now i think i can handle manually this problem. I must do boring stuff like notifications when someone add comment on entry page e.t.c. :)

#18 Offline Leo - Posted February 12 2017 - 5:36 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

i can not change the species as i have pheidole but not pallidula

#19 Offline Eviar - Posted February 12 2017 - 5:46 PM

Eviar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I not added all species (there are enormity) if you need some specific species send me message and I will add as fast i can.

#20 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted February 24 2017 - 7:29 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

sure ill transfer my journal over there

• Eviar likes this

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: website, antdiary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users