• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Harlingen Texas 2-4-2017 : Queen Ant ID

neoponera

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Agonzalez4771 - Posted February 4 2017 - 12:10 PM

Agonzalez4771

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationTEXAS
Hi everyone. I found this Ant by complete accident, she was hanging out on a branch in a tree at a Park in Harlingen TX... Only ant any where around. She is about 20mm, the size of a USA Nickle. She is black with a yellow hue. I swear I can see wing scars on each side of her thorax. I'm really trying to get a good picture. I have her in a test tube setup. She prefers the dry side. 

I've tried to ID her on my own but I want to ask y'all for your thoughts. I think she may be a "Neoponera". 

Provided she is a queen, any ideas on how to set her up? Does the test tube work for her?

1 colony of Neoponera Villosa

1 colony of Leptogenys Elongata

1 colony of red black Camponotus

1 Pachycondyla harpax Queen

1 Solenopsis Queen

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 4 2017 - 12:55 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

yes you are correct! that is a Neoponera villosa queen, a semi-claustral species. a test tube should be fine but remember to feed her

• Agonzalez4771 likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Agonzalez4771 - Posted February 4 2017 - 2:45 PM

Agonzalez4771

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationTEXAS
I was reading that they love termites so I'm planning on giving her that. Any other food sources that work for this species?

1 colony of Neoponera Villosa

1 colony of Leptogenys Elongata

1 colony of red black Camponotus

1 Pachycondyla harpax Queen

1 Solenopsis Queen

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 4 2017 - 5:06 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado