• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Who Are Ant Keepers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Arrowscotch - Posted January 30 2017 - 2:47 PM

Arrowscotch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLynnWood Washington

After a little bit of thinking I decided that it would be interesting to get to know the demographics of the ant keeping community here or at least a slice of it. Why do you keep ants? What else do you find interesting? Do you work in a field related to ants or insects?(biologist maybe?) What's the average age of ant keepers? do people raise colonies with the whole family involved? Thee are just some of the things that interest me about the ant keeping and the people who decide to pursue this hobby.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 30 2017 - 4:33 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

- I keep ants because I am fascinated by their complex and intricate societies, which vary greatly from species to species. I especially enjoy learning about what makes ant colonies function by peering within them and deconstructing the way different members of the colony play important roles the same way a technician might take apart an engine and put it back together again to better understand how it works. I love learning new things about the world around me through experimentation and trouble-shooting.

- In the past, I was quite into other fields of biology such as herpetology, botany, marine biology and even paleontology and used to have collections of exotic reptiles and amphibians, other invertebrates and used to help care for my father's fish tanks (I also have several crates of fossils and gemstones from when I used to collect fossils and various crystal formations.). I also enjoy nature photography, hiking, drawing, raising insects and other small organisms, microscopy, reading classic scifi books and playing chess in my spare times (I also used to lay magic the gathering). It might also be important to not that I have studied a wide variety of other social insects in my spare time, such as poliste wasps and subterranean termites. I have raised colonies of termites in the past and for a short while, took up a profession as a beekeeper.

- I will be starting my first year of college shortly and plan to obtain my masters (or possibly my PHD if I apply myself) and a degree in biology. I would probably specialize in sociology, wildlife conservation, entomology and evolutionary biology. I have actually been working on a research paper for the last 6 months which I hope to publish around the end of this year. Currently, It lacks a working title, but it is currently known as "A Biological Synthesis of Monomorium Emarginatum". I have 25 pages written so far.

- I am 18 currently.

- I am the only "Ant keeper" in my family. The response to my rather unusual hobby is quite mixed across my family. Most of my family is rather supportive and my mother has even taken a bit of interest in my work (Which says a lot, because she once had a fear of ants growing up as a kid. She now has a newfound respect for them.). A portion of my family prefers the "live and let live" approach where they couldn't care less either way. My uncle, however once kept a large collection of reptiles, amphibians and macro invertebrates, which served as a major inspiration for me at the time. When I was younger, my mother introduced me to insects and fostered an appreciation for nature (Likened to how she felt as a child) to this very day. It still has the same power it had all those years ago to humble me, fill me into a sense of awe and wonder and shake me to my very core. I am beyond grateful that she set me down this path. 

I hope this has helped you :)

• Martialis and CrazyLegs like this

#3 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted January 30 2017 - 4:57 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

There is no average age to keep ants. As most people here will tell you we are absolutely fascinated with them and love to learn more. Demographics are also random, some from Canada, some from USA (all parts), some from South America, some from southeast Asia, really just anywhere there are ants. If you would like to experiment with a colony I suggest that you go out and catch a queen this spring. Do some research find names of species near you and find what yo want, then go looking for a queen. If you would like to do a family project feel free to, however not everyone will think it's "normal". I suggest you give it a shot and if you do not like it then sell the ants on antscanada.com under the "gan" program.

• Martialis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users