• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best test tubes for the money?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 8 2017 - 7:54 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I'm looking to buy test tubes (glass). 50+ probably so I don't have to worry about them for awhile. I've seen a few decent priced bulk packs but can't decide. What do you  guys think?

• Nawor3565 likes this

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 8 2017 - 8:00 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I ordered some a few days ago from Ant-Topia and they are a decent price... There are more on Amazon for less but I got some from AntTopia just to be safe. Many of the ones on Amazon looked short, diameter, just a wacky shape, etc.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted March 8 2017 - 8:03 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

This is my personal favorite and the best deal I have personally found,  here However if you are stuck on getting glass, you would have to do some searching. I never use them.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 8 2017 - 8:23 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

This is my personal favorite and the best deal I have personally found,  here However if you are stuck on getting glass, you would have to do some searching. I never use them.

Do you use plastic tubes for test tube setups for new queens?

#5 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 8 2017 - 8:24 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I ordered some a few days ago from Ant-Topia and they are a decent price... There are more on Amazon for less but I got some from AntTopia just to be safe. Many of the ones on Amazon looked short, diameter, just a wacky shape, etc.

I can't find antopia.

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted March 8 2017 - 8:27 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Do you use plastic tubes for test tube setups for new queens?

I have and they work just fine. :)

I can't find antopia.

Ant-Topia can be found ( here ).

• Nathant2131 likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#7 Offline Cindy - Posted March 8 2017 - 8:30 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Imo Lake Charles Manufacturing has great deals on glass test tubes. You can get 25 16x150 mm Pyrex test tubes for $2.67. Even with shipping cost (I live in Boston) I was able to order 75 for less than $20.

Edit: Shipping took around 4-5 days I believe.

2nd Edit: Corrected the length to 150mm

Edited by Cindy, March 8 2017 - 8:47 AM.

• dermy and drtrmiller like this

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 8 2017 - 8:35 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Imo Lake Charles Manufacturing has great deals on glass test tubes. You can get 25 16x50 mm Pyrex test tubes for $2.67. Even with shipping cost (I live in Boston) I was able to order 75 for less than $20.

Nice you are in Boston! I'm in a small town near it.

#9 Offline Cindy - Posted March 8 2017 - 8:45 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Imo Lake Charles Manufacturing has great deals on glass test tubes. You can get 25 16x50 mm Pyrex test tubes for $2.67. Even with shipping cost (I live in Boston) I was able to order 75 for less than $20.

Hi, nice to meet you! I live in Randolph, so more towards the South Shore area. I'm new to this hobby and have been doing a lot of research to prepare XD

I found your P. Imparis videos and posts super informative! Really excited about the upcoming spring, especially after the warm week we had in late February.

#10 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 8 2017 - 8:55 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Hi, nice to meet you! I live in Randolph, so more towards the South Shore area. I'm new to this hobby and have been doing a lot of research to prepare XD
I found your P. Imparis videos and posts super informative! Really excited about the upcoming spring, especially after the warm week we had in late February.

Yeah the warm weekend in Feb was a big tease. Prenolepis imparis started foraging full swing and Tetramorium actually became active for a bit as well. There are more Mass anters than you think. I have been thinking of starting a thread for general disscution in New England or a group PM since info has been scattered, but this ACAF thread is super helpful and active. I would highly suggest reading through it as it gives the general nuptial flight timeline.

http://forum.antscan....php?f=27&t=900
  • Cindy likes this

#11 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 8 2017 - 9:04 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Imo Lake Charles Manufacturing has great deals on glass test tubes. You can get 25 16x150 mm Pyrex test tubes for $2.67. Even with shipping cost (I live in Boston) I was able to order 75 for less than $20.

2nd Edit: Corrected the length to 150mm

I just looked and I can't believe how cheap the glass tubes are?!

• Cindy likes this

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 8 2017 - 9:10 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I just looked and I can't believe how cheap the glass tubes are?!

The clarity of glass is excellent, and they can be cleaned; though, as inexpensive as they are, I usually just toss them with the glass recycling.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#13 Offline Cindy - Posted March 8 2017 - 9:35 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

@Nathant2131 I think I saw a Tetramorium worker the other day while I was out walking on the Ponkapoag trail. Also found a very small yellow worker under a rock (Lasius?!). Mostly found roly polies though... 

And yes I recall reading that thread! It is actually has been my go-to reference regarding nuptial flight times in NE. I also have A Field Guide to Ants of New England and that has also been helpful, but it doesn't give me much info on nuptial flights.

@socalfireants

Yeah and like someone else mentioned the quality isn't bad at all. It took me a good 10 minutes to remove all of the bubble wrap lawl (if that says anything about the quality of the packaging). I'd suggest buying in bulk since the shipping cost isn't significantly higher when you buy 100 as opposed to 75. I think it was like... $8 shipping for 25 tubes and $8.50 shipping for 75.

• dermy likes this

#14 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 8 2017 - 9:41 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

@Nathant2131 I think I saw a Tetramorium worker the other day while I was out walking on the Ponkapoag trail. Also found a very small yellow worker under a rock (Lasius?!). Mostly found roly polies though... 

And yes I recall reading that thread! It is actually has been my go-to reference regarding nuptial flight times in NE. I also have A Field Guide to Ants of New England and that has also been helpful, but it doesn't give me much info on nuptial flights.

@socalfireants

Yeah and like someone else mentioned the quality isn't bad at all. It took me a good 10 minutes to remove all of the bubble wrap lawl (if that says anything about the quality of the packaging). I'd suggest buying in bulk since the shipping cost isn't significantly higher when you buy 100 as opposed to 75. I think it was like... $8 shipping for 25 tubes and $8.50 shipping for 75.

I have the book too. Super helpful.

The worker might be Lasius flavus or nearcticus, very likely neoniger if it was a dark yellow, but more likely a Lasius social parasite if Lasius at all. This is the most common genus where I am.

Anyways, we are getting a little off topic.  :whistle:  I think it would be a good idea to start a thread soon.

• Cindy likes this

#15 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 8 2017 - 12:36 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

^ I was just about to be a nazi and yell DOUBLE POST

I use glass tubes without any problems. One problem came when I shanked myself with 4 shards.

YJK

#16 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted March 8 2017 - 4:24 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I went with Charles Lake, too. I don't know which place is cheaper, but they have an eBay store, if you're more comfortable buying from there.

#17 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 8 2017 - 4:40 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
If you want to get the most bang for your buck, go plastic and look on Ebay. I would target 16mm by 150mm test tubes. I just checked my most recent order; I bought 100 for slightly less than $15. Glass are nicer, but ask yourself, do you really need nice test tubes for your ants? I don't. I really don't intend for them to be in them for that long, and I treat them as disposable.
  • T.C. likes this
~Dan

#18 Offline Kevin - Posted March 8 2017 - 5:15 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I agree with LCM labs. 250 test tubes shipped for like $30 to me. Pretty good deal.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#19 Offline Sassysquatch - Posted March 9 2017 - 1:36 AM

Sassysquatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

As someone who was also recently in the market for Glass test-tubes. I've found in my time googling about about on the interwebs that THA (Tar Heel Ants) has some decently cheap 20x150mm Glass test tubes going for about $0.75 A pop. the link for that is Here.  It looks like it's gonna be $37.50 for 50 20x150mm test tubes (before shipping). Alternatively you could go with LCM labs Link here This is really more for labs to bulk buy but i've seen some smaller 5 packs going for pretty cheap pic of the 5 pack here  . At that point it really depends on the size you want, it seems like some of the places selling test-tubes out there are like i said before intended for huge bulk orders for laboratories. Outside of that I didn't come across anything else very promising (Though i'm sure if you look there's probably deals or better prices to be had). Again it really comes down to the size of test tube that you want, What size is that, friend?

#20 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 9 2017 - 7:04 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Thanks a lot guys, I went with Lake charles test tubes.  I got 15x125mm (25 pack) and a 18x150mm (25 pack)for around $3 per pack. I also got an order of 25 16x100mm plastic tubes for capturing ants when I'm outside. Came out to 12$ because shipping was $5.50. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users