• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dermy's Lasius neoniger Colony 2017

dermy lasius neoniger colony 2017

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dermy - Posted January 7 2017 - 2:32 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

So since I don't currently have any colonies awake [and I've been hibernating a lot of them since like September] I thought I'd at least wake up a new Queen and try to start a Colony. I'm also probably gonna wake up one of my Camponotus Colonies soon. Anyway, the last Colony I had of Lasius neoniger ran away [literally the workers ran away and the queen ended up dying] so this time I'm using a different setup, just a standard pill bottle setup. I've started anything from Myrmica to Camponotus in these so Lasius should work out fine. I woke up my queen around Dec. 27/2016, and basically left her alone in the dark. Now Jan. 7/2017 I decided to take a look at her, she has some eggs that should hatch out into larvae fairly soon. She's really mellow for a Lasius Queen too, most freak right out when I open up the tube and stuff.

• ctantkeeper, Leo, Martialis and 2 others like this

#2 Offline dermy - Posted February 26 2017 - 1:48 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

She finally has cocoons, it didn't take as long as last time :D.

I better not open it up when workers come to feed them and have them run away from me again. I'll do it in my bathtub so they can't run that far or at least I can easily pick them up if they do :lol: .

I plan to reverse-hibernate these in the Summer.

• antgenius123 and thosaka like this

#3 Offline dermy - Posted March 9 2017 - 12:40 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

March 9/2017 First Workers!

It took a lot less time then usual to get workers then usual. I'll edit this post later with more information much too busy at this time.

• Nathant2131, Cindy and thosaka like this

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 9 2017 - 5:39 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Will stick around for updates. Big emotion for this species for me  <3

• dermy likes this

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted March 9 2017 - 5:53 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I better not open it up when workers come to feed them and have them run away from me again. I'll do it in my bathtub so they can't run that far or at least I can easily pick them up if they do :lol: .

That's just wonderful, isn't it?

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#6 Offline dermy - Posted March 14 2017 - 6:33 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I think the colony has 6 workers now :D

Here's a quick video of them eating some syrup:

• Nathant2131 likes this

#7 Offline dermy - Posted March 22 2017 - 12:38 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

There's like 12 workers now, and things are looking good. My best colony I've ever had [from a queen] in a really long time. I've got "methods" to keep them out of harms way at least for now until they grow too large....

I think there is a dozen or so Workers in the Colony now :D

• Nathant2131 likes this

#8 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 22 2017 - 2:19 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Sweet! I wish I could get my own ants! No one sells queen ants, and i fail to be able to capture camponotus ants! This year though, I have bought much more equipment to hopefully catch about 50 queens and some shall survive! Those ants are very active looking too!

Edited by antking117, March 22 2017 - 2:19 AM.

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 22 2017 - 2:36 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Looking good. What are you feeding them?

#10 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 22 2017 - 4:31 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Nice! I have two neoniger and they both have larvae.

YJK

#11 Offline dermy - Posted March 22 2017 - 3:05 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Looking good. What are you feeding them?

Some syrup [not in that video though] and a mealworm part, they make pop noises when you rip them apart....

#12 Offline dermy - Posted April 7 2017 - 2:07 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I moved them, and now they are doing well. I had to speed up my video or it will take me 1 hr and 15 mins to upload it to youtube.

#13 Offline dermy - Posted April 14 2017 - 1:49 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

April 13/2017

Fed the colony their first Mealworm part today I was surprised with their reaction, they are finally being less skittish then when they first eclosed. The colony is starting to get it's second generation of workers as well. I'm in no hurry to give them a foraging area. I'll wait until the tube is so full that every-time I open it ants are trying to get out. Then I'll probably connect a small little foraging area.

Here's a quick video on their reaction [lots of workers I know why everyone says Lasuis are great beginner species, even though I'm not a beginner it's fun to watch a colony grow this fast!]

• Jelly likes this

#14 Offline Jelly - Posted April 14 2017 - 2:18 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

April 13/2017

Fed the colony their first Mealworm part today I was surprised with their reaction, they are finally being less skittish then when they first eclosed. The colony is starting to get it's second generation of workers as well. I'm in no hurry to give them a foraging area. I'll wait until the tube is so full that every-time I open it ants are trying to get out. Then I'll probably connect a small little foraging area.

Here's a quick video on their reaction [lots of workers I know why everyone says Lasuis are great beginner species, even though I'm not a beginner it's fun to watch a colony grow this fast!]

What do you have them in? 

#15 Offline dermy - Posted April 14 2017 - 2:34 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Pill bottle with a child resistant cap [for obvious reasons] they work really well for starting colonies and keeping them until they get large enough for a foraging area/better nesting area.

#16 Offline dermy - Posted April 22 2017 - 1:47 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Quick little update here's a video I made on 4/20/2017

Lots of workers and lots of activity, I'm expecting exciting things from them hopefully before it's time for hibernation. Which is in about a month or two. Since I'm reverse Hibernating them.

Edited by dermy, April 22 2017 - 1:50 AM.

• Nathant2131, Cindy and brian like this

#17 Offline dermy - Posted May 1 2017 - 9:44 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

This Colony has a lot of larvae, so I'm expecting a population explosion when they finally eclose to workers in a few weeks. Until then I've been feeding them as much as they can handle:

Kind of skittish ants, I hope as the generations pass they get bolder. It's fun watching a colony with that many workers scared of food but then my Camponotus queen will just happily eat whatever.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#18 Offline dermy - Posted May 13 2017 - 1:07 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Another quick Update, this colony has been doing very well, they are now bold enough to walk around most if not all the tube :D

Next thing I'll need to give them a foraging area soon!

• Barristan and Nathant2131 like this

#19 Offline dermy - Posted May 20 2017 - 10:42 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I cleaned their tube again, man Lasius are messy ants. I see a lot of larvae, so I should start providing them with more Protein, no foraging area, they are too scared to even venture into a tube when I tried. I'm guessing the next batch of workers will be more "brave" than these.

Edited by dermy, May 20 2017 - 10:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dermy, lasius, neoniger, colony, 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users