• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Forcing Queen Acceptance

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted January 5 2017 - 10:06 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Disclaimer : This is more of a thought experiment but perhaps someone may have tried it in a practical sense. 

So I was wondering what you experienced ant keepers thought about forcing a queen less colony into accepting a queen?

For this scenario lets just say a species of Pogonomyremex since it seems its easy to obtain large quantities of workers.

SO you've captured a queen. You take said queen and contain her in a small confined "cartridge" with mesh paneling so she can actively be reached by the workers antennae but the mesh is small enough so they can not sting and kill her. Your nest is set up so that this cartridge is hot swappable into the nest while there are many workers in it.

What are the chances/likelihood this horde of workers can acclimate to her over a period of time and accept her as their own queen to which one could release her from this cartridge and not have her instantly abdicate?

#2 Offline Ricardo - Posted January 5 2017 - 10:11 PM

Ricardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos angeles

Unlikely but possible. I know a guy who can fuse any sp. .

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 5 2017 - 10:30 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Such as a social parasite?

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline FSTP - Posted January 5 2017 - 10:46 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Such as a social parasite?

I would consider that out of bounds since it happens naturally and I'm wondering more about unnatural pairing of queen and worker.

#5 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 6 2017 - 12:22 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Unlikely but possible. Really depends on how the workers analyse everything about the queen. If they sense weakness they'll usually kill a queen. Although AntsCanada has tried this many times so it may be worth watching some of their videos.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted January 6 2017 - 2:46 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Usually it is best to cool down the workers so they get more lazy and dizzy, this drastically increases the chance of them accepting the queen. Probably the best time to do this is during hibernation so the queen has a longer time to take over the colony scent.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline FSTP - Posted January 6 2017 - 2:55 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Unlikely but possible. Really depends on how the workers analyse everything about the queen. If they sense weakness they'll usually kill a queen. Although AntsCanada has tried this many times so it may be worth watching some of their videos.

that's why in this "thought experiment" the queen is protected in a mesh walled cartridge so she can't be killed by the workers. 

Usually it is best to cool down the workers so they get more lazy and dizzy, this drastically increases the chance of them accepting the queen. Probably the best time to do this is during hibernation so the queen has a longer time to take over the colony scent.

that's a good idea. That try well may make the workers more receptive to her sent since they will be in a more passive state.

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 6 2017 - 9:52 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The common understanding of ant society being governed so much by their colony identity odor is likely a misunderstanding. This experiment might work for reasons beyond our ability to analyze, or it might just fail as we all expect.

• LC3 and MichiganAnts like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#9 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted January 6 2017 - 3:09 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan
You have to make sure all workers are young. There is a guy on the any fb group who has different species of compo living together.

This week I caught a T. Sessile colony that had 2 Laaius queens.no T Sessile queens

Edited by W1Z25, January 6 2017 - 3:11 PM.

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#10 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 6 2017 - 3:23 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

It depends on the age of the workers and what species they are. Supercolony species and most species that experience pleometrotism are the best candidates such as Tapinoma, Lasius and prenolepis. An even better choice might be species that undergo oligogyny which actively take in new queens such as some Formica rufa group species and Temnothorax. On age, generally the younger the better. callows would be ideal

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#11 Offline LC3 - Posted January 6 2017 - 3:24 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

This method isn't even guaranteed to work for polygynous ants, especially with queens it's not a "Get past the barrier and your safe" situation. Frankly a queen won't be accepted just because she smells like the rest of the colony, she is a queen after all. 

Edited by LC3, January 6 2017 - 3:26 PM.

#12 Offline Kevin - Posted January 6 2017 - 4:15 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

This would definitely not work for formic acid sprayers, the queen would die. I think this is possible, but is most likely to vary by species.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#13 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 6 2017 - 6:40 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Unlikely but possible. I know a guy who can fuse any sp. .

Any species? Like Acromyrmex and Dorylus? That would be the OP combo. Farming and killer badgasters.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#14 Offline FSTP - Posted January 6 2017 - 9:04 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

The premise wasn't about combining different species. It was about combining a singular queen with a queen less set of workers of the same species.

#15 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 6 2017 - 10:02 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Not to derail the topic a whole lot more, but I thought I should mention that while it is achievable to mix pupae of different species or even genera of ants together, the workers do not behave cohesively and the majority species will usually kill off their stranger nestmates at one point or another.

• LC3 likes this

----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users