• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Outworlds

outworld

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Californian Anter - Posted January 5 2017 - 6:42 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

I was just wondering what outworld do you guys use for your ants? If you make your own, is it possible to write how you made the outworld? Thanks.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted January 5 2017 - 7:00 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I use small to medium sized plastic and acrylic containers and tanks. If you search around the forum, you can see how others have made their's. You can see how I've made one of mine in my journal. 

http://www.formicult...ournal/?p=46745

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted January 5 2017 - 7:01 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Lots of different options my friend. However they are one of the easier parts of antkeeping. I just do mine with a tube leading from whatever there nest is to the container. I pour some grout in the bottom, and before it dries lay sand and rocks down. Then just add a few plants for a natural look. :D Then you can line the top of the out world with fluon to prevent escaping or just give it a lid with a small holes to keep it ventilated. However the best method in my opinion is just to line it with fluon.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted January 6 2017 - 2:52 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I'm currently using a plastic container. In the future I will use several AntKit acrylic nests, three GPPS outworlds and most likely large "Scuba" sealed food boxes. At some future point I would like to raise aphids in one or two very large boxes.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted January 6 2017 - 5:53 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

I use Box Box that I get from the container store.  The lid fits perfectly I have zero complaints. 

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#6 Offline Californian Anter - Posted January 6 2017 - 4:18 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

I use small to medium sized plastic and acrylic containers and tanks. If you search around the forum, you can see how others have made their's. You can see how I've made one of mine in my journal. 

How did you drill the hole? Is it possible with tools available to a teen?

Edited by Californian Anter, January 6 2017 - 4:18 PM.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#7 Offline Kevin - Posted January 6 2017 - 4:21 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

How did you drill the hole? Is it possible with tools available to a teen?

Teens can have different tool selection. A drill and drill bit is all that is needed for that, but there can be advancements to makes cleaner cuts, exact cuts, etc.

I use 4x4x4 amac boxes and run a tube from the nest the the amac box.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted January 6 2017 - 4:33 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

You need one of these:

22x-Schleifer-Zubehor-SET-Schleifstift-S

They can be used with manual drillers like this:

20242.jpg

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 6 2017 - 6:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You need one of these:

22x-Schleifer-Zubehor-SET-Schleifstift-S

They can be used with manual drillers like this:

20242.jpg

:lol:  If anyone uses either of these to drill holes in their plastic box, please post a picture of it once you finish.

• ParaStatic, LC3, Kevin and 1 other like this

#10 Offline FSTP - Posted January 6 2017 - 9:01 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

those types of bits needs higher rpm. You're not going to achieve 1200rpm on a hand crank....

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 7 2017 - 1:33 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They are also for grinding metal not drilling holes in plastic haha.

• FSTP likes this

#12 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted January 7 2017 - 5:25 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

I don't have access to the Box Box containers so I have to use something else. Sometimes I can find food containers that are good like this one:

15171297_1605477722811085_11510050276489

But it's small and I can't find bigger ones, specially for the Atta that will need a quite big one, so I bought some pieces of glass in the right size and made my own glass box like this one:

15730787_1664977400194450_1914503024_n.j

The only problem with the glass box is to drill a hole in it, to do it you will need a glass drill and a lot of patience.

After you have your container you can place some decorations and the substrate, I boil the substrate before placing it in the outworld so there's almost nothing that can harm the ants(like fungus, mites...).

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#13 Offline noebl1 - Posted January 7 2017 - 8:18 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

The only problem with the glass box is to drill a hole in it, to do it you will need a glass drill and a lot of patience.

When I was into reef keeping (talk about a pricey hobby...), I used to drill glass out all the time.  I even drilled out a 75g tank, full of water and fish (after dropping water level a few inches), that was scary... anyways enough of the old days.  I found the cheap eBay diamond bits from China worked well with a simple corded hand drill.  Make a template just big enough for the bit, keep that affixed to the glass, and drill slowly keeping very even pressure (but needs to be perfectly flat!).  I'd also if someone was around, have them spray a bit of water as I was going.  I had a lot of success with this method, even on the thin 10g tank glass.  I think I only broke one 10g tank as got impatient.  Only thing is watch out for tempered glass as it will shatter if you attempt to drill it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: outworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users