• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

White Mites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted January 5 2017 - 4:04 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Hello, Today when feeding my 3 Pachycondyla queens I found 2 white mites inside the test tube of one of them.

Journal link to photos of the setup:

http://www.formicult...pdated-122716/ 

The dirt in the setup is not sterilized because this ants were my first ones and I didn't know that it was needed, until now I had no problems with it. It's hard to see the queens and the brood so I'm not sure if the mites are in the queens bodies. Should I manually transfer this queens into a more controlled setup?

Since there's no workers and small amount of brood I think that will be easier(and better) to manually transfer the queens rather than placing a lemon slice or something like that. 

OBS: I only found mites in one of the 3 setups. 

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#2 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 5 2017 - 4:21 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Hello, Today when feeding my 3 Pachycondyla queens I found 2 white mites inside the test tube of one of them.

Journal link to photos of the setup:

http://www.formicult...pdated-122716/ 

The dirt in the setup is not sterilized because this ants were my first ones and I didn't know that it was needed, until now I had no problems with it. It's hard to see the queens and the brood so I'm not sure if the mites are in the queens bodies. Should I manually transfer this queens into a more controlled setup?

Since there's no workers and small amount of brood I think that will be easier(and better) to manually transfer the queens rather than placing a lemon slice or something like that. 

OBS: I only found mites in one of the 3 setups. 

I would put a slice of lemon in the setup you have currently. If the problem proceeds and the mites are still there after a while then move your ants out  asap. Just keep in mind there are beneficial mites and harmful mites so it's better not to take the risk. Ant colonies can be wiped out in a week due to the dangerous mites. If you plan to move them just make sure you  put a lemon slice in the new setup so if the mites manage to enter the new setup the lemon will stop the mites from harming your ants. This method usually works.

P.S. In the future it's a good idea to keep anything to do with your colony clean especially things like soil, tree bark etc.

Edited by antgenius123, January 5 2017 - 4:23 AM.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted January 5 2017 - 6:31 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

These are most likely just harmless ground mites that are everywhere in soil. You can relocate the ants if you want to be sure but PLEASE don't just add a lemon slice to the formicarium. Put it into the outworld or an extra chamber between the formicarium and the outworld. The ants themselves are strongly repelled by the lemon as well and need time to accommodate with it. If you put it too close to the nest they will just flee.

Edited by Serafine, January 5 2017 - 6:34 AM.

• LC3 and Reevak like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 5 2017 - 7:16 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

These are most likely just harmless ground mites that are everywhere in soil. You can relocate the ants if you want to be sure but PLEASE don't just add a lemon slice to the formicarium. Put it into the outworld or an extra chamber between the formicarium and the outworld. The ants themselves are strongly repelled by the lemon as well and need time to accommodate with it. If you put it too close to the nest they will just flee.

Yep

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users