• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help on first queen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted December 6 2016 - 5:15 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I bought 2 solenopsis xyloni queens who had their nanitics die so i put them in test tubes set up with half a cricket and some small drops of honey they have been there for 2 days have not been laying  eggs or have ate them before i saw them. they are also cleaning themselves a lot and i always see them either near the food or on the moist cotton.Is there anything I'm doing wrong, any tips you have and are they ok or are they dieing? would give pics but nothing to show

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 6 2016 - 6:04 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I bought 2 solenopsis xyloni queens who had their nanitics die so i put them in test tubes set up with half a cricket and some small drops of honey they have been there for 2 days have not been laying eggs or have ate them before i saw them. they are also cleaning themselves a lot and i always see them either near the food or on the moist cotton.Is there anything I'm doing wrong, any tips you have and are they ok or are they dieing? would give pics but nothing to show

You can try to warm them and keep them in the dark as long as possible.

YJK

#3 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted December 6 2016 - 6:15 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

ok

Owner of :

#4 Offline Leo - Posted December 6 2016 - 7:06 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

don't look at them for a week or two

#5 Offline OTHER - Posted December 6 2016 - 11:28 PM

OTHER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

You need patience, they need to be safe before they go settle in.
Keep them in the dark for a while, every time you look at them they feel the nest is disturbed and they don't feel safe anymore. ;)

Check out my Youtube channel Here

Please like our Facebook!

#6 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted December 8 2016 - 3:17 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

UPDATE: they are staying on the wet cotton most of their time no eggs yet is being on the wet cotton a good or a bad sign

Owner of :

#7 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted December 25 2016 - 8:25 AM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

If you just got them probably are just recovering from all the moving and changes on light patterns... if you leave them for a week or two on the new environment they will start again with the founding process of the colony...

They are by the cotton because it's moist and it's the end of the chamber, for them it's the safest place to be away from intruders at the door and any interruptions from "outside"!!!

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users