• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vacation Foods

ants ant help questions vacation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JenC - Posted February 23 2019 - 11:03 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
What is a good way to give my ants protein and carbs while I’m on Vacation. No one is around to take care of my ants during this time, and I add an extra test tube with water.
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 23 2019 - 11:50 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

If they have few or no brood, ants can survive extremely long periods (months) with almost no food.  They will die quickly without water, however.  If they do have brood, they may begin cannibalizing them when food runs out.

Offer the colony a test tube or liquid feeder filled with water, and one filled with diluted sugary liquid.  Feeding an insect right before vacation is typically fine. 

Depending on the species of ant, cooler temperatures may help to slow their metabolism and growth rate.  Ensure they are kept in an area with stable temperatures and well away from drafts to prevent the formation of potentially deadly condensation droplets in tightly confined humid spaces like test tubes or formicaries.

Ensure the colony is well-contained so they cannot escape while you are unable to care for them.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 24 2019 - 9:45 AM.

• Ant Broski likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted February 24 2019 - 4:05 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Depending on the ants you can provide stuff like fish flakes or dry cat food. Some ants won't eat dry food (like my Camponotus barbaricus) but most of the common urban "pavement ant" species and all of the harvester ants will do (but then harvester ants will have a seed storage anyway).

Just make sure they don't run out of water and sugars, those are far more critical than protein food.

Edited by Serafine, February 24 2019 - 4:06 AM.

• Ant Broski likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline JenC - Posted February 24 2019 - 9:24 AM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
Thanks
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, ant help, questions, vacation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users